Become a CGC Evaluator
The AKC's Canine Good Citizen® (CGC) Program is rapidly becoming recognized as the standard of behavior for dogs in our communities. Canine Good Citizen® resolutions have been passed by 42 state legislatures and the United States Senate, insurance companies are starting to use CGC® to insure breeds they would not otherwise insure, and some condominium associations around the country now require that all dogs in the complex have earned the Canine Good Citizen® award.
The AKC recognizes the importance of the CGC® Program and we are committed to its continued growth and resulting impact on responsible dog ownership. Due to the increasing significance of the program, we are introducing some exciting new changes that will increase the experience, training, and knowledge of CGC® Evaluators.
Here are the new steps to becoming an AKC CGC® Approved Evaluator:
- Make sure you meet the minimum qualifications before starting the application process.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Have at least 2 years of experience working with owners and their dogs
- Have experience working with a variety of breeds and sizes of dogs
- Must not be currently suspended from AKC privileges.
- If you meet the minimum qualifications, submit the AKC CGC® APPROVED EVALUATOR APPLICATION . If you cannot download the form, we can mail it to you. Call 919-816-3637 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a paper application.
- After you submit your application and it has been reviewed by the AKC, you will receive a letter telling you if your application has been approved or denied. If your application is approved, the letter will provide instructions for taking the Online CGC® Test for Evaluators. The test is open-book and is based on the content from the Evaluator's Guide. If you do not pass the test, you will be given the opportunity to take it again.
- After passing the CGC® Evaluator Test, you will receive your AKC CGC® Approved Evaluator packet. Your packet includes:
- An Approved Evaluator certificate
- A personalized identification badge
- Monthly electronic issues of "CGC® Approved Evaluator News."
- Your approval is valid for a two-year period. At the end of two years, you will be asked to complete a short renewal application (updating your contact information).
The new process includes an application fee of $90 that is good for two years. After the initial application, as long as you keep your evaluator status current, the fee to renew every two years drops to $35 if you choose to renew via regular mail. For the reduced fee of $30, you can renew online at: Online Renewals. These fees are for processing and are intended to defray some of the costs of the CGC Evaluator program.
We believe that the improved requirements to become an evaluator as well as the addition of the test applicants must pass prior to becoming Approved CGC® Evaluators will greatly improve the quality of the CGC® Program--we're looking forward to receiving your application soon!
For answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the enhanced evaluator program, visit CGC FAQ's.