Purina Pro Plan-fed dogs made a clean sweep by winning Best in Show and all the Group Firsts at the inaugural “Beverly Hills Dog Show Presented by Purina.” “Rip” (GCH Fidelis Ripcord), a 3-year-old red male Doberman Pinscher, stole the show by capturing the coveted Best in Show title at the Saturday event held by the Kennel Club of Beverly Hills.
“Ripcord demonstrated everything that a Doberman should be, from his correct conformation to his rock solid temperament. He has a commanding presence and is a crowd pleaser,” says handler Dylan Kipp of Tomball, Texas, who has campaigned Rip for nearly two years.
Rip, the No. 4 Working Dog in 2016, with 14 Bests in Show and 55 Group Firsts, has been the No. 1 Doberman Pinscher since 2016. He won Best of Breed at the 2017 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. Rip was on a roll at Beverly Hills, taking the Best in Show title again on Sunday.
More than 1,300 dogs from 150 breeds vied for top honors at The Beverly Hills Dog Show Presented by Purina. The competition culminated with Best in Show judge Clay Coady of Paradise Valley, Arizona, selecting the Doberman from the following Group First winners:
- RESERVE BEST IN SHOW and NON-SPORTING GROUP: A 5-year-old male Bichon Frise, “Flynn” (GCH Belle Creek’s All I Care About Is Love), currently the No. 1 dog in all-breed competition in the country
- SPORTING GROUP: A 3-year-old English Springer Spaniel, “Chris” (GCH Foxboro Cristolino), currently the No. 2 dog in all-breed competition in the country
- HOUND GROUP: A 3-year-old fawn brindle Whippet, “Anna” (GCH Windborn Starline Heiress), the No. 1 Whippet since 2016
- TERRIER GROUP: A black-and-tan Wire Fox Terrier, “King” (CH Kingarthur Van Foliny Home), who recently began his show campaign in the U.S. after a successful career in Europe
- TOY GROUP: A 3-year-old red Affenpinscher, “Fiona” (GCH Yarrow HiTech Drills N Skills), ranked No. 2 in the Toy Group in 2016
- HERDING GROUP: A 7-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi, “Allie” (GCH Coventry Allure At Wyndstar), who took Group Third at the 2017 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show
“We are very pleased to partner with the Kennel Club of Beverly Hills to celebrate the world of show dogs and tastefully combine it with the glamour of Hollywood,” says Ann Viklund, Purina Director of Conformation. “Along with ‘The National Dog Show Presented by Purina,’ this show creates a strong East-West dog show portfolio. We hope to grow the show’s presence year after year.”
Created by NBC Sports Group in a multiyear agreement with the Kennel Club of Beverly Hills and Purina, the dog show was held at the Fairplex in Pomona, California, and hosted by David Frei, a well-known dog show analyst, and John O’Hurley of “Seinfeld” and “Dancing with the Stars” fame. Frei and O’Hurley also co-host NBC’s The National Dog Show Presented by Purina, which is broadcast on Thanksgiving Day.
NBC Sports Group created a holiday tradition in 2002 with the introduction of The National Dog Show Presented by Purina. The show, which draws the largest TV audience of any televised canine competition, had more than 25 million viewers in 2016.
The Beverly Hills Dog Show debuted on television Easter Sunday on the USA Network from 8 to 10 p.m. EDT, and will be rebroadcast April 17 from 9 to 11 a.m. NBC also will air the show on Sunday, April 23 from 1 to 3 p.m. EDT.
Congratulations to the winners of the Beverly Hills Dog Show Presented by Purina.” For more information on the winners, click here.
Sponsored by Purina®.