- Dog Name Check
Dog Name Check
Use this form to determine valid dog names for registration. Choose the breed of your dog (names are breed specific), enter your last name, and what you would like to name your dog.
The person who owns the dog at the time the application for registration is submitted to the AKC has the right to name it. Names are subject to AKC approval and the following guidelines:
- Name choices are limited to (50) fifty characters. Spaces between words, apostrophes and hyphens are counted. Note: An additional $10 fee will be incurred when more than (36) thirty-six characters are chosen.
- All letters in a dog's name are limited to the standard English alphabet. Diacritical markings (accent grave, accent acute, umlaut, etc.) are not printed on Registration Certificates in a dog's name. When Registration Certificates are printed, all letters are capitalized.
- A Registered Kennel Name cannot be included in a dog's name unless its use is authorized by the owner of the name.
- Roman numerals must not be included at the end of the dog's name. The AKC reserves the right to assign roman numerals for identification purposes.
- The AKC permits thirty-seven (37) dogs of each breed to be assigned the same name.
- Words and phrases that may not be included in a dog's name:
- Champion, champ, sieger or any other AKC title or show term, either spelled out or abbreviated.
- Obscenities and words derogatory to any race, creed or nationality or transliterations of such words.
- Kennel(s), male, stud, sire, bitch, dam and female.
- Breed names alone.
- There are no restrictions on arabic (1, 2, 3), cardinal (one, two, three) and ordinal (first, second, third) numbers that are spelled out.
- An imported dog must be registered with the same name under which it was registered in its country of birth, except for the addition of a Registered Kennel Name.
The name of an AKC registered dog may be changed provided the dog was whelped in the United States. Further, in cases where the litter owner(s) first individually registered the dog, the litter owner(s) written consent shall be required. A dog name containing a Registered Kennel Name cannot be changed without the written consent of the owner(s) of that Registered Kennel Name. However, no change in name will be recorded by the American Kennel Club after the dog has produced or sired an AKC registered litter or has received an award at an AKC-licensed or member event. Any name change must comply with all AKC requirements.
You can download a Dog Name Change Authorization application from our Web site. The fee for changing a dog's name is $25.00.