Competition & Title Updates
We have some big news to report about All-Americans succeeding at earning the top titles in Agility, Coursing Ability, Rally, Obedience, Scent Work, and Tracking.
Congratulations to the winners at the 2019 AKC Agility Invitational
AKC Canine Partners congratulates the All-American Dogs and their owners who competed and won honors at the AKC Agility Invitational held Dec. 13 – 15, in Orlando, FL. Two dogs made the finals in their height divisions and placed in the top 10!
- MACH9 Olive Hawkins MXC2 PAD MJS3 PJD MXF TQX T2B6 CGC TKI, owned by Stefanie and Craig Hawkins of Florence, KY, placed sixth in the 16-inch division.
- MACH17 Feel The Need MXS4 PAD MJC4 PJD MFB2 TQX T2B10 CGC, owned by Janet Boggs of Crawfordsville, IN, placed seventh in the 20-inch division.
Master Agility Championships (MACH)
Multiple Master Agility Champions
Congratulations to these dogs who have earned more MACHs:
- AGCH MACH17 Feel the Need MXB5 PDS MJC5 PJG MFG2 TQX T2B12 CGC owned by Janet K. Boggs of Crawfordsville, IN
- MACH13 Donaldson’s Daisy MXS4 MJB5 OF owned by Laura J. Donaldson of Elk Grove Village, IL
- MACH8 Olive Hawkins MXC2 PAD MJS3 PJD MXF TQX T2B6 CGC TKI owned by Stefanie and Craig Hawkins of Florence, KY
- MACH7 African Queen MXS3 MJG3 OF T2B CGCowned by Maryanne Borowski of Millstone Township, NJ
- MACH7 Carazo’s She’s A Keeper MXC2 MJB3 owned by Nicolette Carazo of Riverside, CA
- MACH6 Theodore Teddy Hill MXS2 PDS MJS2 PJS OF owned by Priscilla Hill-Wampler and John Wampler of Newark, DE
- MACH6 Camp David’s On the Verge of Greatness MXG2 MJC2 MFS TQX T2B2 CGC TKA owned by Rachel Billick of Tarentum, PA
- MACH6 Jinx Falkenburg McLean MXB2 MJS2 NF T2B owned by Adrienne McLeanof Richardson, TX
- MACH5 Hayley The Crunch MXC MJB2 OF T2B owned by Bettina Dice of Sterling, VA
- MACH4 Sassy V RAE2 MXB2 PDS MJC PJD MFS TQX T2B6 owned by Mette Bryans of Eureka, CA
- MACH4 High Octane’s Borgoe Tobias MXC PAD MJC PJD MFS TQX T2B3 owned by Anouk Boon of Vero Beach, FL
- MACH3 Mighty Milo Vogel MXG PAD MJG PJD OF T2B3 owned by Kathleen Rose Vogel of Bay City, MI
- MACH3 Rrh Lulu MXC MJB2 XF owned by Denise Tudor-Hayes of Loveland, OH
- MACH3 Shani Of Ingleside UD BN RN MXC MJB2 PJD MFB T2B2 TKI owned by Valerie Dietz of O’Fallon, IL
- MACH3 Apollo Of Waterton MXC MJB2 owned by Lydia Langley of Lynchburg, VA
- MACH3 Dancin’ The Jive MXC MJC MXF T2B owned by Cheryl Schiml of Beavercreek, OH
- MACH2 Gretzky The Great One depup MXS MJG XF ACT1 CGC TKI owned by Mari Sutjiamin of Lombard, IL
- MACH2 My Adrenaline Rush MXC MJG MFS TQX T2B4 owned by Kimberly Barton of Johnstown, OH
- MACH2 Momoha!, Pink Cream Puff Explosion MXB MJS owned by Jacklyn Murphy of Denville, NJ
- MACH2 Mazy MXC MJC CA owned by Barbara Barrett of Alpharetta, GA
- MACH2 Princess Harley Of Swallow Lane RE MXC MJG XF owned by Susan and Louis Jearls of Florissant, MO
Congratulations to these first-time MACHs:
MACH PACH Riley’s Jesse MXB MJB MXP5 MXPS MJP4 MJPB PAX XF MFP T2B T2BP CGC TKA owned by Carol Riley of San Antonio, TX
“Jesse is a border collie mix, but when I saw him at a local adoption event, I didn’t know (or care) what breed or mix he was, because it was love at first sight,” said Carol. “I knew he was the dog for me, but I could not have imagined at the time what a wonderful teammate and companion he would turn out to be.”
Right away she noticed Jesse’s high energy level, that he was extremely smart, and needed lots of physical activity and mental stimulation. So, after basic obedience, she enrolled him in a beginning agility class to provide a fun outlet for him. Neither of them knew anything about agility, but Jesse loved it, and they have never looked back. “It has been an adventure and so much fun for both of us.”
Along the way Jesse has earned his AKC Canine Good Citizen and Advanced Trick Dog titles, and he competes in AKC Fast CAT, but his first love is agility. When not in the agility ring, he’s working the crowd for treats and giving kisses to anyone who’ll let him. He also likes long walks, hiking, and any activity that involves running and/or treats.
He earned his MACH on July 28, 2019, at the Bexar County Kennel Club trial in San Antonio, and he and Carol are looking forward to competing in their second AKC National Agility Championship in Perry, Georgia, this spring.
“Jesse is an awesome teammate, and a constant source of fun, love, joy and adventure,” said Carol.
MACH Larrabee’s Kiah MXB MJS XF owned by Mary Larrabee of Beavercreek, OH
Seven-year-old Kiah was adopted by Mary from the Greene County Animal Shelter in 2013. They hit it off and within a year Kiah began training as Mary’s first agility dog. Kiah loves agility, and it soon became their favorite pastime.
“Although laser focused when going over jumps, Kiah is a very friendly, mild-mannered canine with exceptional manners,” said Mary. “She loves spending time with me on and off the agility course; snuggling, hiking, and going on road trips. Kiah is a true All-American Dog with no distinctive blood line, a great temperament, and her signature one ear up, one ear down.”
Kiah and Mary earned their MACH on Sept. 14, 2019, at the Great Salt Lake Dog Training Club Trial in Farmington, Utah.
Congratulations also to these first-time MACHs:
- MACH Hurst’s Rocky CD PCD BN RE MXB MJB AXP OJP OF CGCA CGCU TKA owned by Sarah Mae Hurst of Gallatin, TN
- MACH Theodore London MXB MJS XF owned by Marcy Jacobs of Godfrey, IL
- MACH Happy Mac MJB XF owned by Rachel Evers of New Berlin, WI
- MACH Orion’s Little Deuce Coupe CD RA FDC MXB MJS XF T2B2 CGC owned by Jennie Peterson of Aztec, NM MACH Chaweenie MXB MJB NFMACH owned by Katie Jan Evans of Great Falls, MT
- MACH Diggin’ It Loose CDX RE MXB MJS XF owned by Linda Coenen of Grants Pass, ORMACH Everlasting’s Matilda RE MXB MJB XF owned by Elizabeth Ann Powell of Evansville, IN
Preferred Agility Championships (PACH)
Congratulations to these dogs who have earned more PACHs:
- PNAC MACH9 PACH8 Logan Lake Hope MXC2 MJG3 MXP18 MXPG2 MJP19 MJPG2 PAX8 XF T2B CGC owned by Kimberly Barton of Johnstown, OH
- MACH11 PACH6 Cabonina La Saltadora MXC3 MJC3 MXP13 MXPB2 MJP13 MJPB2 PAX6 CGCA CGCU TKA owned by Jason and Melissa Meier of Germantown, WI
- MACH PACH4 SOLLARS’ DREAMBOAT ANNIE MXB MJB MXP9 MXPG MJP10 MJPC PAX4 XF MFPB TQXP T2BP3 CGC owned by Karen and Lloyd Sollars of Lafayette, IN
- PACH2 Ellie Ferdinand MXPB MJP8 MJPG PAX2 MFPB TQXP T2BP owned by George Ferdinand of Yelm, WA
- PACH2 Galmbacher’s Maggie MXP8 MXPG MJP11 MJPC PAX3 OF owned by Donald and Sally Galmbacher of Orchard Park, NY
- MACH2 PACH2 Phurba Tashi RAE MXS MJS MXP5 MXPS MJPB PJDP PAX2 CA RATCHX CGC owned by Esther Carlson of Columbia City, OR
- PACH2 Beverly’s Trooper MXP7 MXPS MJP10 MJPC PAX2 MFPB T2BP4 owned by Beverly Silverman of Henderson, NV
- AGCH MACH11 PACH2 Lanakila Doin It by Example MXG3 PDS MJC3 PJS MXPB MJP5 MJPS PAX2 MFG TQX T2B8 owned by Caroline King of Sanger, TX
- MACH2 PACH2 Euro Fine Girl MXG MJC MXPB MJP6 MJPS PAX2 XF XFP T2B CGC TKN owned by Joe Felix of Cincinnati, OH
Congratulations to these first-time PACH recipients:
MACH2 PACH Cooper X MXG MJB2 MXP3 MXPB MJP6 MJPS PAX OF T2B CGC owned by Shelley R. Webster of Trenton, NJ
Cooper was found as a stray in Ohio at the estimated age of 7 months. His next 11 months were spent in shelters until Shelley adopted him in Princeton, NJ, on July 6, 2009. Since he was estimated to be 1 1/2 years old, she gave him a Jan. 6, 2008, birthday.
“He was overweight at 66 pounds, totally untrained and full of energy. The first three months were tough, him adjusting to life in a home, me giving him lots of exercise to get him in shape, and us getting used to each other,” she said. “We went through basic obedience classes and Canine Good Citizen training and he earned his CGC title on December 12, 2009.
“Cooper doesn’t really play with toys or fetch things and I was looking for something active that we could play together, and my trainer suggested agility,” said Shelley. So, on Feb. 4, 2010, they started agility training. This was Shelley’s first exposure to dog agility, so they learned together. “Cooper seemed to enjoy it; I certainly did. He was pretty good at it when his nose didn’t take over and send him sniffing off somewhere. After all, he is a hound-mix born to follow his nose, and his antics in the ring are sometimes very entertaining.”
In 2015 Cooper earned his first MACH which was followed by MACH2 in 2017. By then he was “getting up in age” so in July 2017, Shelley moved him to Preferred so he could jump 20 inches instead of the 24 inches he had been jumping. He earned his PACH on June 6, 2019. “He will be 12 in January and, since he still enjoys competing, we will continue as long as it is what’s best for him! Cooper is a very sweet, happy dog and is a wonderful part of my family. I am grateful to be on this journey with him.”
PACH Logan’s Flash of An Angel Trixie MX MXJ MXP4 MXPB MJP4 MJPB PAX XF MFP T2B T2BP RATN CGC TKN owned by Antje L.Zoe Logan of Denham Springs, LA
Trixie, a Beagle/Cattle Dog mix, was among a litter of puppies left at a dumpster and thankfully found her way to a rescuer.
“She was the runt of the litter and very timid,” said Antje. “I had never owned a dog before, but always wanted one. I decided today was the day and that is when I met her in August 2014. She is a very loving and gentle dog, but her fearfulness was a struggle for a while.”
Trixie received her CGC by age 2, and Antje was looking for something new to keep her growing mentally. She started her first agility class right after her second birthday, and they entered their first trial just a few months later. Trixie loves agility, and it has helped her find confidence. Trial environment was still putting a lot of stress on her at times, and Antje decided in September 2018 to run her in Preferred classes for a while. “She achieved her PACH on June 21, 2019, only nine months into Preferred, qualified for nationals and has positively surprised me in so many ways. Trixie is also very talented in barn hunt and was the perfect partner at the K9 Biathlon. Balls and Frisbees are her favorite toys, and disc is definitely on our bucket list.”
PACH Sandy’s Zoe MXP3 MXPB MJP4 MJPB PAX owned by Sandy Angelone of Conway, PA
Sandy describes Zoe as her 7-year-old ‘desert dog.’ I found her as a puppy in Pahrump, NV, in someone’s garage. She captured my heart and after moving to Pennsylvania, we have finally been able to trial with some consistency for the last year-and-a-half. I’m very proud to be part of the AKC Canine Partners, which gives us the opportunity to compete,” said Sandy. Zoe earned her PACH in Latrobe, PA, on July 28, 2019.
MACH2 PACH Hamilton’s Boo MXG MJG MXP3 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX MXF T2B THDD CGC TKI owned by Bruce Hamilton of Holladay, UT
Boo is a rescue from the humane society. She and Bruce met when she was almost 2 years old. Her DNA test says she’s half Border Collie and half Lab. She is dedicated to pleasing people and has a very soft personality.
They started training and competing in agility about seven years ago. “Boo did fairly well early on, but after a short period of time she quit having fun and was shutting down on me, sometimes vaulting the fence and running to her crate to wait for me. So, we quit agility for about a year-and-a-half,” said Bruce.
“Then one day my friend, trainer, and mentor suggested that we try practicing a little. Boo was a different dog. She really wanted to play agility, so we started over.” Now, a few years later, Boo is an accomplished agility dog, who has earned two MACHS and her PACH. “We are not the fastest team, but she is amazingly consistent, earning Qs more often than not.”
“She is truly a kind soul. She has served as a therapy dog through Intermountain Therapy Animals for over six years. She brings happiness to many in rest homes, senior living centers, schools, and occasionally hospitals. At competitions and therapy locations, she has a fan club. Few know my name but many, many people know hers. I’m just Boo’s dad,” said Bruce.
“At almost 10 years old she continues to compete and enjoys the event setting. She’s been an amazing partner. She continues to teach me about life and makes me a better person.
PACH Princess Sassy Steinrock MXP3 MXPB MJP4 MJPB PAX owned by Margaret Steinrock of Crestwood, KY
Margaret was 9 years old when she rescued Princess from the Kentucky Humane Society six years ago. Princess is a Long-haired Chihuahua mix with a lot of love and attitude to share with the world.
“I have always dreamed about getting a PACH with my Princess, but I did not think it was possible after her injuries last year. She had a very long recovery after a psoas injury, then she got pancreatitis. Princess showed me that her little body possessed a monstrous amount of might. To my great relief, she made a full recovery. My dreams came true on Sept. 28, 2019, when side by side my best friend and I received our PACH.”
Princess earned her PACH at Silver Street Park in New Albany, IN, at a trial hosted by the Agility Canines of Southern Indiana. “Princess is my first agility dog of many more to come, but she will always be my special little girl.”
Congratulations also to these All-American Dogs who have earned their PACH:
- MACH5 PACH Mel’s Amazing Mooch MXS2 MJB2 MXP3 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX MXF TQX T2B3 owned by Melanie Thomas of Findlay, OH
- PACH Pepper of Tourville Rd. MX MXJ MXP3 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX OFP owned by Roxanne Denise Vincent of Chateaugay, NY
- PACH Driving Miss Daisy MXPB MJPB PAX NFP owned by Stephen Sanborn and Michelle Green of Charlotte, NC
- MACH4 PACH Layla Wild Tail MXS2 MJS2 MXP3 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX owned by Kenneth G. Kistler of Vandalia, OH MACH PACH Bain’s Molly CD MXS MJB MXPB MJPB PAXowned by Carla and Raymond Bain of Edwardsville, IL
- PACH Anderson’s Malibu Mac BN RA MXP3 MXPB MJP6 MJPS PAX OFP owned by Beverly and Andy Anderson of Jeffersonville, IN
COURSING ABILITY TESTS
CAX Congratulations to these dogs for earning their first CAX titles:
- DT6 Blue Star RN CAX DCAT owned by Gordon Kane and Lori Lagasse of Allen, TX
- Pieper’s Reece CAX BCAT CGC owned by Marianne Pieper of Gainesville, VA
- Heart Of Gold CAX BCAT owned by Katie Lane of Reston, VA
- Melia’s Honey Bea CAX SCN SIN RATO CGC owned by Cayla Wallwork of Austin, TX
- Bentley Kayganiewicz RN CAX BCAT CGCA CGCU TKP owned by Kristyn Kay and D.J. Cyganiewicz of Lexington, KY
Congratulations to this dog for earning a 16th CAX title:
Iyong Tapat Kaibigan CAX16 FDC DCAT DN owned by Stephanie Markgraf of Graham, NC
Kai continues his reign as the top mixed-breed dog in Coursing Ability Tests with 400 clean runs. He earned his CAX16 at the Winter Wonderland Cluster in Perry, GA, over the Thanksgiving holiday running with the Greyhound Association of Northern Georgia.
Stephanie states: “That’s a wrap for the 2019 season. After a short break, Kai will hit the bunny trail next year for his eighth year participating in Coursing Ability Tests. Although approaching 10 years old, he still loves to chase the lure. He may be a little slower since becoming a veteran, but he’s still trying to catch that bunny!
“Kai again thanks the AKC for creating the Canine Partner program that allows him to compete in performance sports. He has run the newest sport of Fast CAT and loves chasing the bunnies there as well. Tally Ho!”
Congratulations to these FCAT title earners for earning 1,000 points:
- Zoey Furiously Happy CAX2 FCAT TKNFCAT owned by Pam Buswell of Gorham, ME
- Jersey Shore Lindsey Lou Who NA OF FCAT ACT2 CGC TKI owned by Laura Williams and Michael Alexander of Matawan, NJ
- American Super Margo Scarlette CA FCAT ACT1 CGC owned by Elizabeth Frum of Whitehall, OH
- Moonridge Captain Dynamite FCAT SCN SIN SEN RATN CGC TKN owned by Karen and Thomas Orr of Knoxville, TN
- Diamond-Hope Traub FDC CAA FCAT SWN SINE SENE SIA SEA TKN owned by Lisa and Tim Traub of Mukwonago, WIAlonzy FCAT owned by Pamela Wolfe of Lake Geneva, WI
- Boomer of Tartan AX AXJ FCAT TKN owned by Kathy and Robert Condron of Miamisburg, OH
- Katie Lynn Panger Santangelo CD BN RAE CAA FCAT CGC TKN owned by Sissy Santangelo of Harahan, LA
Congratulations to these dogs for earning second FCAT titles:
- Shannon XI CAX FCAT2 owned by Lori and John Stephenson of Manassas, VA
- Ruby in The Rough OA OAJ CA FCAT2 DJ CGC TKP owned by Katharine Lenhart of Dayton, OH
- Schatzi IX CAA FCAT2 CGC TKN owned by Lori and John Stephenson of Manassas, VA
Congratulations to Winners at the 2019 AKC Obedience Classic
AKC Canine Partners congratulates the All-American Dogs and their owners who competed and won honors at the AKC Obedience Classic Dec. 13 – 15, in Orlando, FL. Two dogs placed in the top 10 in the Utility division, and a Novice level dog won the Parent Club Medallion for All Americans:
- Outland’s Brooklyn UD BN CGCA TKN owned by John Outland of Tallahassee, FL placed 4th.
- I’ll Be Your Huckleberry UD owned by Shannon Canard of Flora, MS placed 10th.
Parent Club Medallion Winner
A “Top Dog Medallion by Breed” for All American Dogs is sponsored by the American Kennel Club. The winner is the dog with the fewest points lost. The All-American Dog who took home the medallion competed in the Novice class and lost only five points. He is Mary’s J K’s Mr. Panda Bear CD BN RN CGCA (24th overall in Novice) owned by Judith Temple, Francis Temple, and Kay Thayer. He was handled by Kay.
Congratulations to this dog for earning a second UDX title:
- OTCH6 Lola Sugar and Spice UDX6 PCDX OGM BN GN GO VER RE CAA CGCA CGCU TKA owned by Kathryn Harvey of Apple Valley, MN
Congratulations to this dog for earning her first UDX:
Jada Mayhem UDX PCDX OM1 BN GN RAE3 owned by Leroy and Mary Gouge of Florissant, MO
“My wife and I have both had dogs (purebred and All American) our entire lives and when we adopted Jada from the humane society in St. Louis, MO, in December 2012 when she was 8 weeks old, we knew right away that she was a very special little girl!” said Leroy.
“When Jada is happy, she makes a ‘WOOWOO’ sound that exudes pure joy. All my trainers from puppy class on encouraged me to show her in rally and obedience. I had never shown dogs before, and Jada was my ‘A’ dog. I began showing her in rally in 2015 and then began showing her in obedience. She is always eager to please and learns new exercises very fast. While our journey hasn’t always been easy, it has been very rewarding and exciting.”
Jada earned her UDX on July 12, 2019 at the Tri County Agility Club (TAC) trial in Wentzville, MO. She also earned her OM1 on July 14, 2019, at the same trial. “We are extremely proud of her accomplishments and look forward to continuing our journey.”
Rally Master (RM)
Congratulations to these first-time RM recipients:
Ehdr Niki CD BN RM OA OAJ CGC owned by Rhea and Jim McCaffrey of Richmond, VA
Thanks to Eastern Herding Dog Rescue, Niki and her mother were rescued from an animal shelter in South Carolina five years ago. Niki was one of six newborn puppies. “Her mama, who lives with us also, earned her CGC and is now a therapy dog. She passionately nursed and mothered her puppies despite being malnourished, having heartworms, Lyme disease, and a gunshot wound. This story has a happy ending; all of the puppies were placed in great homes,” said Rhea.
Niki has also trained and earned titles in obedience and agility. Niki is a perfect home companion as well as a great working dog, Rhea said.
White Haus No Doubt RM FDC ACT1 THDN CGCA TKP owned by Heather White of Cold Spring, NY
Thomas is a very special 5-year-old German Shepherd Dog, released from Guiding Eyes for the Blind at 12 weeks old. He and Heather earned the AKC Rally Master title on July 20, 2019, at the Putnam Kennel Club dog show. In addition to being big fans of rally, they enjoy volunteering as a therapy dog team through Alliance of Therapy Dogs and enjoy showing off tricks they’ve learned together from when they earned the AKC Trick Dog Performer title.
Me and Bobby McGee UD RM FDC CGC owned by Richard and Jackie Canada of Union, SC
Three-year-old McGee is “loved by everyone who meets him,” said Richard. “Every day is a new adventure for McGee. He is never still. He lives to greet people and he loves to work. He works best when he is mastering a new skill. Jackie says “His motto is ‘Don’t worry Dad. I’ve got this.’ “After earning his RE, he took a break from rally to compete in obedience. After he earned his UD, we went back for his Rally Master title, which he completed at the Greater Monroe Kennel Club shows in Concord, NC, in August 2019. He earned his Farm Dog title at the same event. McGee and the Canadas are currently tracking and running in Fast CAT events and have begun agility work.
Blaze Six CD RM RAE owned by Cassandra Six of Gloucester, VA
“We were in search of a companion for our other All-American Dog, Einstein and found Blaze through RescueMe.org in 2013,” said Cassandra. “Although his previous owner loved him dearly, she was moving and sadly could not take him with her.” Blaze and Einstein became best friends and Blaze’s positive playful attitude helped Einstein tremendously with his separation anxiety issues. Blaze was a hefty 92 pounds when Cassandra got him. They started obedience and rally, and even did a little bit of Agility at Belroi Obedience and Agility Center to help get his weight under control and tame his exuberant personality. Through training and diet, they were able to get him to a healthy weight of 64 pounds.
“Blaze was almost two when he came into our lives and he took a liking to obedience and rally training. Partly because it was fun and exciting for him and partly because he was on a restrictive diet and would do anything for treats!”
“It quickly became evident that he was going to excel at Rally. We started competing in Rally in 2016 and competed in Novice in our first Rally Nationals Championship the spring of 2017 in Perry Georgia, where he placed 11th. He received his Rally Masters title on August 17, 2019 at Merrimac Dog training club at the Tidelands Poodle Club Trial. He is working toward earning his RACH. We look forward to competing in the 2020 Rally National Championship and hopefully placing in the top 10.”
Janie’s Little Loyal Levi CD BN RM RAE AX OAJ XF CGC TKA owned by Janellen Henderson of Amarillo, TX
“When I retired after teaching for 38 years, my husband thought I needed a dog to fill my time. A dog! What? Because of several bad experiences when I was a child, I had spent most of my life being afraid of dogs,” said Janellen. “Still, he insisted a dog was just what I needed, and one day he drove me to an adoption fair. A terrier-looking puppy was sitting politely in his kennel (despite all the barking going on around him). I liked him, and before I could realize what I had gotten myself into, my husband was filling out adoption papers on the pup I would eventually name Levi. I wish I could say it was all easy going, but Levi was quite a spirited puppy. I think Tornado would have been a better name for him.” Janellen enrolled Levi in obedience classes. But she was still frightened of dogs, and the class had lots of big dogs. “Thanks to my patient teachers at Amarillo Obedience Training Club, I slowly overcame my fear of dogs, and Levi slowly became obedient.” His first award was the AKC Canine Good Citizen title. “It was a beginning; even though, at times, he was not a very good citizen. At home he still liked to chase deer, get into fights with skunks (which he lost), chew up my best friend’s Christmas lights, and even kill my husband’s prize hen! As you can imagine, there was still work to do.” Janellen took Levi to more classes – obedience, rally, agility and barn hunt. In 2016, they began to compete, and Levi has earned many titles. On Sept. 7, 2019, he earned his RM and his RAE Titles in Elk City, OK. “It took a puppy named Levi to teach me some new tricks. I’ll always be grateful for the fun and fulfillment my wonderful dog has afforded me.”
Kleine Meisje BN RM RAE THD CGCA TKA owned by Nancy Johnson and Lynwood Patterson of Stedman, NC
Meisje came to Nancy and Lynwood at 8 weeks. Her name means “little girl” in Dutch. Her training started with a basic obedience class when she was 12 weeks, and she began agility after that. Nancy and Meisje enjoy their weekly agility classes, but their competition focus now is rally.
“Giving back to the community is a priority,” said Nancy, and “to that end, she earned her CGC in November 2015, her CGCA in March 2016, and in June 2016, Meisje was certified as a therapy dog.” Her main work is with children. She is in her fourth year in a reading program at an elementary school. “She loves the kids, and they love her. At 16 pounds, her size makes her accessible to kids who might be more nervous with a bigger dog.”
The team started rally in late 2015. “The classes are a highlight of our week because we get to hang out with friends, both two-legged and four-legged. Her first rally trial was in December 2017.”
“We continue to look for new adventures. Our best times are hanging with friends in class and at trials, making new friends and cheering on everyone as they compete. Rally competitors, judges, and especially those running the trials are wonderful and welcoming. We plan to continue competing in rally for the foreseeable future,” said Nancy.
Meisje earned her Master and RAE titles on Sept. 20, 2019 at the Winston-Salem Dog Training Club.
Congrats also to these dogs for earning their RM:
- Chilli-Bean RM CGC owned by Lynn and Doug Mueller of Mukwonago, WI
- Knm’s Last Centurion CD RM CA CGC owned by Karry and Genna Mang of Lansing, MI
- Mattie Ross CDX BN RM RAE4 AX OAJ XF CA CGC owned by Arwen Price of Lexington, KY
- Rolling Thunder CDX BN RM RAE owned by Wynne and Gary Guiles of Boise, ID
- MACH Dancing Dogs Shiner Bock CDX RM RAE MXS MJB MXP2 MJP XF MFP owned by Mary Swindell of Boyd, TX
- Ruby Blue Mingus CD BN RM FDC NA CGC TKP owned by Stephanie Pollard of Alvarado, TX
- Schwarz’s Wyatt CD BN RM CGC TKN owned by Patricia Milner Schwarz of Floresville, TX Ruff-Redemption’s Ulterior Motives RM NA NAJ CA BCAT DN CGCA TKA owned by Lizzie Colville of Cumming, GA
- Benson Of Willow CD PCD BN GN RM RAE2 FDC CGCU TKN owned by Virginia Cranston of Wilson, NY
- Boldhearts Rock N Blue Jeans RM RAE CGCA owned by Diane Ostrem of Cottonwood, CA
Congratulations to these dogs who have added more RAEs to their names:
- Bossman Sweetater Freighter RAE23 owned by James and Barbara Roberts of Lakeland, FL
- RACH Daisy Duke XVII BN RM3 RAE3 NJP OFP ACT2 CGCA TKA owned by Colleen Swierkocki of Wayne, NJ
- MACH2 Northbound Fly by Night CDX RAE3 MXS MJG MJP NF CGCA owned by Samantha Scicchigno of Staten Island, NY
- Jeanniejo’s The Almighty Samson CD RM3 RAE2 CGCA owned by Jo Ann Ray and Jean Miyoko Gutridge of Maryland Heights, MO
- Zebedee Of Huckleberry Hill Rd. RM2 RAE2 CGCA TKA owned by Dawn Furniss of Brookfield, CT
- Eddyson RM2 RAE2 CGC TKN owned by Katherine M Birkner of San Antonio, TX
- RACH Maxwell Ferguson Mullen Awtrey CD BN RM5 RAE3 FDC ACT1 CGCA CGCU TKN owned by Barbara and Robert Awtrey of Ellicott City, MD Ziva D. Of Wissota CDX PCDX BN GN RM2 RAE6 THDN FDCH RATN CGC TKP owned by Rexann Lemke of Chippewa Falls, WI
- Kenzie’s Shining Star CD BN RM2 RAE owned by Crystal Grauman of Marysville, OH
Congratulations to these first-time RAE recipients:
- Harlow’s Gallopin’ Gavinator CD BN RAE FDC OAP NJP CGC owned by Rosemary Harlow of Norris City, IL
- Blaze Six CD RM RAE owned by Cassandra Six of Gloucester, VA
- Sophie Hardison CD PCD BN RAE OAP OJP OFP ACT1 THD CGCA CGCU TKE owned by Lynda Hardison of Arlington, TX
- Ryder Leigh Rowland RAE owned by Laura Rowland of Louisville, KY
- Renegade’s Crusade CD PCD BN RAE CGCA CGCU TKI owned by Heidi Lengel of Woodland Park, CO
- Nothin’ But Blue Skies RAE TKN owned by Leslie Luchene of Columbia, MO
- Mongo Mcnab CD RAE AX AXJ XF CGCA TKI owned by David N. Lindberg of Eureka, CA
- TLC I’M A Frequent Flier CD BN RAE owned by Susan and Bill Croswell of Tallahassee, FL
- Maggie Mae II CD PCD BN RAE NAJ TKI owned by Joan Podd and Phillip Dunn of Cobbs Creek, VA
- Paloma-Smith CD GN RAE CAA BCAT owned by Jean Smith of Ardacia, FL
- Cody Nolan Graves CD BN RAE ACT2 CGCA CGCU TKP owned by Karen Graves of Seymour, IL
- MACH Dancing Dogs Shiner Bock CDX RM RAE MXS MJB MXP2 MJP XF MFP owned by Mary Waugh Swindell of Boyd, TX
- Dobby The House Elf BN RAE CGC TKI owned by Kelly Davis of Casselberry, FL
- Dmelza RAE CGC owned by Valerie Kroll of Santa Ana, CA
- Kenzie’s Shining Star CD BN RM2 RAE owned by Crystal Gruman of Marysville, OH
- Janie’s Little Loyal Levi CD BN RM RAE AX OAJ XF CGC TKA owned by Janellen Henderson of Amarillo, TX
- Daisy Mae XXXI RAE NAJ AJP NFP CGC TKI owned by Donna Johnson of Amarillo, TX
- Kleine Meisje BN RM RAE THD CGCA TKA owned by Nancy Johnson and Lynwood Patterson of Stedman, NC
- Lc’s Hangin’ With Mr. Cooper CD RAE OA OAJ OF CA BCAT SCN SIN SEN RATO CGCA CGCU TKA owned by Lindsay Clark of Reddick, FL
Scent Work Masters
Harry Of Sharon Dale VCD1 PCDX GN RE OAP OJP SWM owned by Sharon Atkins of Dimondale, MI
“Adventures with Harry continue,” said Sharon. “Upon receiving his Versatile Companion Dog 1 Title on March 20, 2016, Harry was honored by the AKC by its publication of his accomplishments in the AKC Canine Partners News Competition Update. The article published in 2016 described a dog of unknown origin and humble beginnings obtaining obedience, rally obedience, agility and tracking titles.” But after numerous visits to veterinarians, massage therapists and chiropractic practitioners, Sharon made the decision to end Harry’s agility and dock jumping career due to chronic back and joint pain.
A good friend persuaded her to try scent work and so a second chapter of their journey began. Harry (nicknamed the Super Speckled Sniffer) earned his first legs in AKC Scent Work on Nov. 26, 2017, and on Aug. 10, 2019, he earned his Scent Work Master title when he passed the Master Buried test at the Toledo Kennel Club trials in Toledo, Ohio.
Rua Red Fitzpatrick SWM SHDA CGCU TKI owned by Laurie Witucki PhD and Star Swift of Coopersville, MI
Rue was born in 2012 somewhere in the back roads of Tennessee. She and her littermates were being handed out from the back of a pick-up truck at a gas station when volunteers from a rescue organization took her in. Laurie and Star adopted her on July 1, 2012, from Wishbone Canine Rescue. She was listed as a Golden Retriever/Border Collie mix but she is really “100% All American Adorable-Howler,” said Laurie. She trained Rue in rally and agility, but she developed some anxiety, phobias and environmental sensitivity so only performs those sports in the backyard where she feels safe.
They began Scent Work in 2015 to build Rue’s confidence. She was afraid around other dogs and of certain noises and environments; her first reaction was one of timidity, fear, and avoidance. “The sport has done wonders for her. She now will approach people at a trial in a friendly confident way, and I just beam when dog-savvy people ask if they can give her a treat after she so bravely approaches them, tail wagging, sniffing their shoes or pant leg. If they had only seen this dog at 1 year old when she cowered, tail-tucked and eyes wide at any new person, dog, or situation.”
Laurie has worked hard at focus games, tricks, and other confidence builders so Rue can patiently wait in line at trials for her turn to do Scent Work. She now pulls Laurie into the ring or search area to do “her job.” She has nine Scent Work Detective Q’s and many of those searches have been more than 10 minutes long. “One of the Detective searches I will never forget occurred during an approaching thunderstorm,” said Laurie. “Rue worked through the rumbles, quickly finding the outside hides, then finishing in a large inside industrial kitchen area. I kept watching her for signs of stress since thunder is one of her least favorite sounds on planet earth. She found the last hide up on a drinking fountain, clearly indicated it for me to call ‘Alert’ even as there was a loud crack of thunder. She loves her sniffing job so much that she could tune out and work through one of her greatest fear triggers. I was so proud of her progress and bravado at that moment!”
Rue earned her Scent Work Master title by finishing her Master Buried title in Toledo, OH, on June 9, 2019. “I have fallen in love with this sport and am now competing in it with my 10-years-old retired agility Golden Retriever,” she said.
TDX (Tracking Dog Excellent)
Wiley Coyote Cleaver Clark TD2 TDX CGC owned by Kathy Cleaver of Wayland, MA
The Cleavers rescued Wiley from their local shelter, Buddy Dog, in December 2017. Kathy had followed his story on Facebook, as he had been dumped, hit by a car, and on the run for three weeks before being captured by animal control. “He has a sense of humor and is very focused on using his nose,” she said. “I started tracking training right away, which he eagerly took to.” They earned two TD titles last year. He earned his TDX on Sept. 22, 2019, at the Pioneer Valley Kennel Club test in Bernardston, MA, with a focused and precise performance. “I was thrilled! We have been working on non-vegetated surfaces and are working at the VST level. Tracking has helped Wiley gain confidence and be in new situations.”
TD (Tracking Dog)
Baxter Mr B BN RN CAA BCAT SWN SIA TD RATN CGCA TKN LV1 owned by Diana Robinson of Firth, ID
Baxter was picked up running the streets of Pocatello, ID, by the animal shelter and was adopted by Diana at age 6 months. He loves to learn new things and work with her; he is always happy, and his tail is always wagging. “Baxter loves to run and play with other dogs. He is a faithful companion, watch dog and protector,” she said. At the age of 3 years, he also has earned titles in obedience, rally, scent work, coursing, Barn Hunt, Canine Good Citizen, Trick Dog, and trailing and locating. Baxter lives in Idaho with Diana and two other dogs – another rescue and a Borzoi. He earned his TD title on Sept. 22, 2019, at the USRVDTC’s tracking test near Idaho Fall, ID
Paisley Bandana TD CGCA owned by Lori Buckeley of Prospect Heights, IL
“It has been quite the feat to get Paisley here,” said Lori. “She has lived the American dream complete with travel to new lands, struggle for success and finally a warm couch to sleep on.” Paisley was adopted at 3 months old at the Wright Way animal shelter in Des Plaines Il. “She was the last of the remaining puppies in her litter; left behind, scared, alone, and afraid to let anybody touch her after a long and petrifying ride to the shelter from the south. I couldn’t leave her behind and thought it would be really hard for her to find a home being so standoffish - I would work with her.”
One year into having Paisley, Lori woke up to find that she had been sick several times and took her outside. On the way inside “she turned as white as a sheet of paper and passed out in front of me.” She was unresponsive, and Lori scooped her up and drove to the animal emergency hospital three miles away.
Lori watched as they paddled her twice to bring her back to life. That night Paisley tested positive for heartworm disease (Paisley had heartworms before being put on preventative when Lori got her) and was given a less than 25% chance of surviving the night. She coded at least two more times over the next four hours.
Once Paisley made it to the next emergency clinic, she stayed in their ICU for several days. With the heartworm diagnosis confirmed and Paisley stable, treatments were started.
After Paisley regained health, Lori enrolled her in obedience classes. But she could never get her to stop sniffing the ground. They tried rally to mix it up, so she’d have to focus. Still, if she caught something good on the floor, her nose was down.
Somebody recommended that they try tracking. “I was hesitant because our club’s tracking is early on Sunday mornings, and Sundays were my only day to actually sleep in,” said Lori. “For the love of a dog I enrolled her in tracking. I put her on the 30′ lead and watched her bark in excitement week after week as she grew stronger and stronger – able to track further and further. I now see her complete her tracks with full confidence of being 30′ in front and in charge. Once she’s found that final glove, she plays with it more than she plays with any other toy; she wags her tail and jumps around, and she even almost lets strangers pet her as she zooms around in excitement.”
Paisley received her TD on Sept. 22, 2019 through the Rand Park Dog Training Club’s TD test held at the Spring Creek Headwaters in Barrington Hills, IL. She is the first All American Tracking Dog in Rand Park’s membership. “She makes me proud knowing how much she has accomplished outside of tracking to be where she is today.”
Congratulations also to this dog for earning the TD:
- Keiki Wagner TD TDU owned by Patricia Wagner of Fairbanks AK
TDU (Tracking Dog Urban)
Congratulations to this dog for earning the TDU:
- Keiki Wagner TD TDU owned by Patricia Wagner of Fairbanks, AK
VST (Variable Surface Tracking)
Congratulations to this dog for earning the VST:
OU Dream In The Thick Of It VST CGC owned by Rebecca Kriz of Bonita, CA
Two-year-old Mud is from a litter that was an accidental cross between a field-line Golden Retriever and a Search and Rescue certified Border Collie. Since puppyhood, he’s loved to explore and use his nose. Rebecca wanted to give him an outlet for this natural behavior, so she started tracking lessons. He is the first dog she has ever trained in this sport, and he earned his TD in December 2018 at their “first ever” tracking test.
He earned his VST on July 7, 2019, at the German Shepherd Dog Club of San Diego County’s VST test at Southwestern College in Chula Vista, CA. “Once again, we were able to pass the test on our first try!” said Rebecca. “He did lots of extra zig-zagging around classrooms looking for critters in the bushes but managed to find all the articles and eventually guide me to the glove at the end. I hope we pass the TDX this field season to finish his Champion Tracker. He also competes in agility and rally, so we will still have lots of activities to keep us busy when we are done with tracking.”