We have some big news to report about All-Americans succeeding at earning the top titles in Agility, Coursing Ability, Rally, Obedience, Tracking and Trick Dog, including the first and second All-American Dogs to become AKC Rally® Champions and two new AKC Champion Trackers! And many All-American Dogs had big success at the 2019 AKC National Agility, Rally, and Obedience Championships which took place March 15 – 17 in Tulsa, OK.
2019 AKC National Agility, Rally, and Obedience Championships
At the Agility Championships, two All-American Dogs won their divisions and took home the national championships:
PNAC MACH9 PACH6 Logan Lake Hope MXC2 MJG3 MXP15 MXPS2 MJP16 MJPS2 PAX6 XF T2B CGC owned by Kim Barton of Johnstown, OH, was first place in the 4” Preferred division and PACH Charlie RA MX MXJ MXPB MJPB PAX owned by Lindy Luopa of Minneapolis, MN, took first place in the 8” Preferred division.
Other winners included:
AKC National Agility Championship Finalists
- MACH PACH Quicksilver’s Word Up RE MXB MJB MXP4 MXPB MJP7 MJPG PAX OF XFP T2B CA FM RATS owned by Penny Leigh of Graham, NC – finalist, 12-Inch Preferred division, 5th Place
- Ma Belle Joelle MX MXJ MJB XF T2B CA BCAT DM CGC owned by Ali Park of Williamsburg, VA – finalist, 20-Inch Regular division
AKC Rally® National Championship
Congratulations to these dogs who placed in their Rally Classes:
- 3rd Place: Levi BN RI OAP owned by Paula Thomason of Fayetteville, NC
- 6th Place: Mr Buster Brown RI FDC owned by Jessica Poynter of Montrose, CO
- 8th Place: Zorro Love RI ACT1 CGC owned by Samantha Mary Uk of Topeka, KS
- 10th Place: Rodeo’s Livin’ On the Edge CD RI CGC owned by Karen K Richardson of Las Cruces, NM
- 10th Place: Mischief (Un)Managed RA CA BCAT CGC owned by Erin Strong of Tallahassee, FL
- 4th Place: Cheyenne Of Sahoma Lake RN NA NAJ CGC owned by Stefanie Lorbiecki of Sapulpa, OK
AKC National Obedience Championship Finalist
Congratulations to this All-American Dog for making the finals and placing 20th:
- OTCH Lola Sugar and Spice UDX5 PCDX OM8 BN GN GO RE CAA CGCA CGCU owned by Kathryn Harvey of Apple Valley, MN
Master Agility Championships (MACH)
Multiple Master Agility Champions
Congratulations to these dogs who have earned more MACHs:
- AGCH MACH15 Moses Raphael York UD BN GN GO RAE4 MXB4 PDG MJC4 PJG MFC TQX T2B8 CGCA CGCU TKA owned by Jordan Patrick York of Evansville, IN
- MACH11 Donaldson’s Daisy MXC3 MJG4 OF owned by Laura J. Donaldson of Elk Grove Village, IL
- MACH8 Arff Tallulah MXS3 MJS3 MFC TQX T2B2 owned by Betsy and James Totten of Oak Hills, CA
- MACH7 Carrington MXB3 MJB3 MFS TQX T2B5 owned by Grace F. Swearingen of Colonial Heights, VA
- MACH6 African Queen MXB3 MJS3 OF T2B CGC owned by Maryanne Borowski of Millstone Township, NJ
- MACH6 Olive Hawkins MXS2 MJC2 PJD XF T2B5 CGC TKI owned by Stefanie and Craig Hawkins of Florence, KY
- MACH5 Theodore Teddy Hill MXB2 PAD MJB2 PJD OF owned by Priscilla Hill-Wampler and Jon Wampler of Newark, DE
- MACH4 Boston Of Barnes MXC PAD MJG2 PJD OF T2B4 CGC owned by Larry Gordon Ribbeck of Simi Valley, CA
- MACH4 Malcolm MXB2 MJB2 owned by Isabelle Wolf of Erie, PA
- MACH4 Nounours Lionheart Wynne MXC MJB2 owned by Alison Hall of Scottsdale, AZ
- MACH3 Dixie Belle Black CD BN MXB2 MJB2 owned by Jennifer Sumpter of Algonquin, IL
- MACH3 Gilly Of Redwood MXC MJC XF owned by Marcy Jacobs of Godfrey, IL
- MACH3 Lucky J MXC MJC owned by Karen and Matt Dalzell of Midland, MI
- MACH3 Peterson’s Rosie Pickle MXC MJB2 NF T2B2 owned by Kathryn Tucker of Fairbanks, AK
- MACH3 Zoe Mia Vogel MXC MJC OF T2B2 owned by Kathleen Rose Vogel of Bay City, MI
- MACH2 Apollo Of Waterton MXG MJG owned by Lydia Langley of Lynchburg, VA
- MACH2 Euro Boy Make A Big Noise MXG MJC XF T2B RATN CGC TKN owned by Joe Felix of Cincinnati, OH
- MACH2 Mighty Milo Vogel MXS PAD MJS PJD OF T2B2 owned by Kathleen Rose Vogel of Bay City, MI
- MACH2 Nostromos Shadow Chaser MXS MJS XF T2B owned by Laura Harper of Ellisville, MO
- MACH2 Penny for Your Thoughts RAE MXS MJS MXF T2B CAX CGC owned by Mandy Kleiman of Westerville, OH
- MACH2 Sheriff Brooks of Powderhorn MXS MJS OF T2B owned by Patricia and James Evans of Manchester Center, VT
- MACH2 Shirl’s Special Shorthair Maggie May MXS MJS owned by Karen and Matt Dalzell of Midland, MI
Congratulations to these new first-time MACHs:
MACH Gretzky the Great One Depup MXB MJB OF ACT1 owned by Maria Sutjiamin of Lombard, IL
Gretzky The Great One is Maria’s first agility dog. He is an 8-year-old All American from the Humane Society in Russellville, KY. “From the start, Gretzky proved how smart he is,” said Maria. “He loves to do tricks for treats.”
They began taking agility class as an indoor activity during cold Chicago winters. Gretzky is a quick student; his only nemesis was the teeter. But eventually he gained confidence and overcame his fear. He started competing in AKC Agility when he was 6 years old. “You could say he was a late starter, but he loves to perform!” The pair earned their first MACH on Oct. 7, 2018, at Lyons Township Dog Training Club’s trial in McCook, IL. Gretzky also qualified for the 2019 AKC National Agility Championship. Among his other titles are CGC and Novice and Intermediate Trick titles. “He has accomplished a lot in a short time going from a rescue kennel in Kentucky to participating in the AKC NAC. That’s why he is ‘The Great One,’” Maria said.
MACH Galveston Calder a Lil Bit Of Texas RN MXS MJB MXF T2B TKN owned by Sherrie and Earl Calder of Fayetteville, AR
In the spring 2014, Sherrie decided that it was time to add another agility dog to the family. She wanted a shelter dog since her then-partner, an Australian Shepherd, had come from a shelter. She searched and found a beautiful blue merle mixed-breed puppy in a foster home in Boerne, TX. “We filled out an application, and lucky us, we were approved so we made an overnight trip to Texas to pick up this little girl,” said Sherrie.
The Calders named the puppy Galveston for three reasons: the first was to honor her birthplace, Texas; the second was because in Sherrie’s family tree there was a great-great aunt named Galveston Kate, and the third was because Sherrie enjoys Arkansas native Glen Campbell’s song “Galveston.”
“Galveston was a wonderfully smart and well-behaved low-key puppy. So low-key in fact that I felt that she might not have the drive for agility,” said Sherrie. But she continued to put effort and training into her, and it wasn’t long after Galveston’s first birthday that she could tell that “it was me who would be the weaker part of the team.” To learn how to be a better handler for this little firecracker, she began taking classes and attending camps and seminars with several talented agility instructors.
It took time, but they finally became a team and in 2017 Galveston qualified for the AKC National Agility Championship and again in 2018. She received her MACH on Oct. 26, 2018, in Springfield, MO, at the Dog Agility Association of the Ozarks.
“Besides being my agility partner, Galveston is my best friend and I feel like I won the doggie jackpot when I was allowed to adopt her and become her mom.”
MACH Laws’ Sandy MXB MJB owned by Nelda and Vern Laws of Haverhill, MA
Sandy is an 8-year-old Chihuahua mix that Nelda met in 2012 while volunteering at the MSPCA at Nevins’ Farm and Equine Center, where she helps both house and farm animals. Only the day before she and Vern had lost their dog (Sadie, another agility dog), and they were not yet ready to adopt another one. But a few days later Nelda was asked to foster Sandy, since she had recently been spayed and needed a quieter place to recover. She knew that Sandy had had a litter of puppies, was 2 years old, and house trained. She brought her home to meet Vern, another Chihuahua, and a cat.
Nelda started agility in 2007 and has a few obstacles in her backyard. “I introduced Sandy to them and was shocked when she took jumps and tunnels with ease and after just a few days, the teeter (on the second try) and a few weave poles.”
The Laws adopted Sandy 2 ½ months after taking her in, and they began taking agility classes. “When my instructor saw how much Sandy knew and what she did on the course, she couldn’t believe it. She handled the competition-size obstacles like she had been doing them all her life. She said, ‘This just doesn’t happen!’ They began competing in the fall 2012.
“The crowds love her as she flies through a course, jumping like a gazelle and ‘yelling’ at me when I make a mistake,” said Nelda. “We have a blast together as we both like competing but continue to have lots of fun. Getting numerous titles has simply been the icing on the cake!”
Sandy earned her MACH on Nov. 17, 2018, in Amherst, NH at the Middlesex County Kennel Club trial. “Sandy’s love and success in agility is just another great reason to adopt a dog!”
MACH Macy RN MXG MJG CGCA CGCU owned by Judy Jackwood of Wooster, OH
Macy was about 12 weeks old when Judy adopted her from the Wayne County Humane Society in 2008. She was listed as a shepherd/Bloodhound mix, but Judy thinks shepherd/Beagle mix may be a better guess since as an adult, she weighs 30 pounds.
Judy wanted a dog to walk and hike with, and Macy does that and much more. Judy’s friends got her involved in a beginner obedience class. Judy also enjoyed agility and Macy seemed to like it too, so they took more classes. “I didn’t even know that there were agility trials…Little did I know I was getting instruction from the best, and developing friendships with a wonderful group of people,” said Judy.
“We have had our ups and downs on the way to earning our MACH. Macy was afraid of the teeter and slow in the weaves (only at trials) for years. We qualified many times with no speed points. Finally, as I became more relaxed and had more fun, Macy ran faster, and we started getting more points. We had more than enough double Qs.” On Oct. 27, 2018, at the Irish Setter Club trial in North Olmsted, OH, Macy had the fastest runs they had ever had and earned 28 points and finished their MACH.
“Macy is 10 years old and running faster than ever. Every run is a gift. I’ve learned so much, met so many wonderful, talented, helpful people and amazing dogs. I’ve had the best time on this journey,” Judy said.
MACH Matilda of Robinhood MXS MJB owned by Lori D. Johnson of Snohomish, WA
Matilda came to the Caldwell, ID, animal shelter as a stray on Dec. 30, 2010, with kennel cough when she was about 10 months old. She was described as a spaniel mix, released to the American Brittany Rescue, and taken to a foster home in Spokane, WA.
Lori and Len Johnson, retired for a couple of years, had begun their search in spring 2010 for an athletic dog to go hunting, biking and boating, as well as compete in agility.
Having had Brittanies in the past, they contacted the ABR. Matilda was matched with them in February 2011, and they began their agility journey that June. “Because we were not sure of her breeding we decided to enroll her in the AKC Canine Partners program,” said Lori. “In agility she has been a partner who introduced us to a sport and fellow athletes, taking dog training to a level that we were not aware of. We never knew it could be like this… and feel so lucky to have found her (or she found us).”
Matilda earned her MACH on Nov. 25, 2018, at Fun Fur Paws in Mt. Vernon, WA.
MACH Min Oskarssons Mischief Managed MXB MJS NF T2B owned by Karin Patrick of Marlton, NJ
An agility friend who works in rescue sent Karen a photo of a puppy who was in a shelter that euthanizes. He needed fostering or adoption, and Karen agreed to take him in.
The pup made the trek from Ohio. He became friends with Karin’s other dog, Anya, after avoiding her for two weeks.
“He was a challenge to train due to feral tendencies,” said Karen, “but hard work and loads of love brought us to this moment! I am incredibly proud and love my Oskar.”
Oskar earned his MACH on Nov. 25, 2018 in Dream Park, Gloucester County, NJ.
MACH Momoha!, Pink Cream Puff Explosion MXB MJB owned by Jacklyn Murphy of Denville, NJ
Jacklyn adopted Momo in 2014. “Momo is extremely smart and agile,” she said. The pair began competing in AKC events in February 2018 and on Nov. 2, 2018, Momo earned her MACH at the Staten Island Companion Dog Training trial in Clifton, NJ.
“Momo is fantastic with both people and dogs and becoming a therapy dog is probably going to be in the near horizon,” said Jacklyn.
MACH Teddy Be Good MXS MJS OF T2B3 owned by Mary Cavender of Dubach, LA
Mary travels to various schools for her job, and one day, on a visit to a school in rural north Louisiana, it was Parents Day. Hence, there was a lot of traffic coming and going. She had spotted a little black dog running in the road earlier that day, witnessing several near-runover.
“I was nerve-wracked when I finally went out to rescue the stray who had been hanging around the school for several days. I had the principal make an announcement for someone to claim the dog or who wanted to adopt. No takers,” said Mary. “I took the dog with intentions of finding him a good home (not mine). No one wanted him.”
So, she took him along to visit her daughter for Thanksgiving weekend in Texas. When they arrived on a cold, rainy night, Mary and the dog were accidentally locked out of her daughter’s house. Mary had no phone, only an umbrella. So, they walked for two hours until her daughter came home. “The little dog was so sweet. We bonded. A bond that surpassed my capacities for love. My daughter and I called the dog ‘Teddy,’” said Mary.
Mary started obedience training with Teddy. She remarked to an instructor that he had too much energy for obedience, and she suggested agility. I asked, “What’s that?” Mary enrolled Teddy in her next beginner’s class.
“I enrolled Teddy in the AKC Canine Partners program. I gave him the name ‘Teddy Be Good,’ a play on the Johnny B. Goode song. I wanted to be able to sing ‘Go, Teddy, Go, go… Teddy Be Good’ to encourage him to run faster.”
The pair started their agility career only doing two local trials. Later, they traveled a bit to nearby trials, doing only one or two days. They sat out for six months when Mary had knee surgery. “Then I took him out of JWW as he seemed stressed with it,” said Mary. “We have done only Standard for the past year. It is amazing Teddy was able to earn his MACH.” Teddy got his MACH on Nov. 24, 2018, in Lake Charles, LA, at a trial hosted by the Calcasieu Kennel Club.
MACH Rosie La Bella MXS PAD MJG MFS TQX T2B owned by Leslie Lava of Tiburon, CA
Life together for Rosie and Leslie started when they found each other at the Sonoma Humane Society when Rosie was 6 weeks old. She was 3 years old when they started training and then competing in agility. While Leslie’s broken ankle and later a detached retina slowed them down a bit, it never stopped the team. On Jan. 5, 2019, at 6 years old, Rosie earned her MACH at the San Francisco Bay Weimaraner Club trial.
“Rosie has the heart of a lion which she shows every time we step up to the line,” Leslie said. “I so admire her focus and drive and mental toughness. I love competing with her.”
When Rosie is not competing or training, she spends quality time with Leslie on the couch or with her beloved tennis ball in the park. She also caught the ceremonial opening day pitches for the 2017 and 2018 San Rafael Pacifics Baseball Team and served as a therapy dog with the SHARE Program at the Marin Humane Society.
MACH Supermutt MXB MJB OF CGC TKI owned by Gabriella Kabakchieva of Fox Point, WI
Scotty is Gabbi’s Novice A dog and “has been the most loyal partner,” she said. “He is an incredible dog both in agility and in everyday life. He was rescued from a kill shelter by the Wisconsin Humane Society as a puppy, and we adopted him shortly after.”
Scotty has been on the AKC European Open Juniors Team USA three times (2017, 2018, 2019); attended the AKC Junior Agility Competition (earning fourth place in 2016); competed at the Westminster Masters Agility Championship (2019); and competed at the AKC National Agility Championship (2019).
“As a junior handler, I’m so thankful for all the support I’ve gotten, and I’ve been so lucky to have Scotty, who has been through it all with me.”
Scotty is also a certified therapy dog with Pets Helping People. Gabbi loves sharing a little bit of her amazing boy with others. “I love Scotty so much and I am so grateful for him. I’m so lucky to have my Supermutt. He has truly changed not only my life, but my world.”
Scotty earned his MACH on Jan. 12, 2019, at the Canine Sports Zone.
Congratulations also to these first-time MACHs:
- MACH A and D’s Ezekiel Gray Zephyr MJB T2B CGC owned by Alice and David Smith of Lakeville, MA
- MACH Bain’s Molly CD MXS MJB owned by Carla and Raymond Bain of Edwardsville, IL
- MACH Izzi Gyrl MXB MJB XF CGC TKA owned by Karen Bettleyon of Port Matilda, PA
- MACH Lizzy RN MXB MJB OF CA CGC TKN owned by Patti Keating of Placentia, CA
- MACH Mini Mighty Matilda Mae MXS MJB MXF T2B owned by Julie Baclene of West Sacramento, CA
- MACH The Brooke MXB MJB MXF T2B CA TKA owned by Karen Gamboa of Phelan, CA
Preferred Agility Championships (PACH)
Congratulations to these dogs who have earned more PACHs:
- PACH10 Harvey’s Casper AX AXJ MXP34 MXPB4 MJP37 MJPG4 PAX12 CGCA owned by Ronda Lauren Harvey of Calabasas, CA
- PNAC MACH9 PACH7 Logan Lake Hope MXC2 MJG3 MXP15 MXPS2 MJP16 MJPS2 PAX7 XF T2B CGC owned by Kimberly Barton of Johnstown, OH
- PACH6 Crosby’s Quinn MXP17 MXPS2 MJP22 MJPB3 PAX6 MFP T2BP4 owned by Krisanne Crosby of North Chesterfield, VA
- MACH11 PACH2 Cabonina La Saltadora MXC3 MJC3 MXP6 MXPS MJP6 MJPS PAX2 TKA owned by Jason and Melissa Meier of Germantown, WI
- PACH2 Chinnici’s Lucia MXP5 MXPS MJP5 MJPS PAX2 MFP TQXP T2BP owned by Lori Chinnici of Shelby Township, MI
- MACH4 PACH2 My Little Maddie MXS2 MJS2 MXPB MJP5 MJPS PAX2 owned by Marion Kasch of Hanover Park, IL
Congratulations to these first-time PACH recipients:
PACH Charlie RA MX MXJ MXPB MJPB PAX owned by Lindy Luopa of Minneapolis, MN
Charlie is a 10-year-old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and American Cocker Spaniel mix. He was halfway to earning his MACH when he suffered a disc rupture at the age of 6. He spent two-and-a-half years in rehab before returning to agility in the Preferred class. Earning his PACH was a notable milestone in his triumphant comeback as was his recent first place win in the 8″ Preferred class at the AKC National Agility Championship. Charlie earned his PACH on Dec. 18, 2018, in Ham Lake, MN.
PACH Dudley Do Right CD PCDX RAE MXP3 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX OFP T2BP CGC owned by Elizabeth Ann Piper of Albuquerque, NM
Dudley is Beth’s first dog. He was 2 years old when she adopted him from a shelter and started basic obedience training so that he could be a well-behaved pet. Dudley was somewhat reactive when he first came home with Beth but he “blossomed when he discovered the fun of agility training at 3 years old,” she said.
Agility and obedience training helped channel Dudley’s energy in a productive way, which helped him overcome his reactivity issues. Dudley and Beth learned agility from the ground up together, having fun and competing in Preferred 8-inch, earning Dudley’s PACH on Oct. 28, 2018 at the Oil Patch Agility Club trial when Dudley was 9 ½ years old. Along the way, they also discovered Rally and Obedience, and Dudley has earned his PCDX and RAE. When Dudley and Beth are not practicing their agility and obedience skills, they enjoy long walks, gardening, and camping.
PACH Jacy Wigglesbutt AX MXJ MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX XF MFP T2B RATO CGC TKN owned by Denise DiLosa of Metairie, LA
Jacy “is a spunky little dog who will do just about anything for a treat, though her favorite pastime is sleeping in the sun,” Denise said.
The pair started taking agility classes for fun when Jacy was 4 months old. Eight years and 11 months later, she earned her PACH. They overcame many challenges along the way including two-and-a-half years of refusing the teeter.
In 2016 Jacy came down with a mystery illness that almost claimed her life. She was hospitalized for a week after suffering continuous strokes, requiring emergency phlebotomies and surgery to remove her spleen. Denise was told to prepare for the worst, and that if Jacy did make it she might only have a couple years. Jacy pulled through but was left with permanent kidney damage and deformed toenails because of the treatment.
They returned to agility in October 2016 with Jacy running preferred 12”. And exactly two years later at the same trial, she earned her PACH. “Jacy is now almost 10 years old, her health is stable, and she loves running agility more than ever,” Denise said.
Jacy earned her PACH on Oct 26, 2018, in Covington, LA at the Swamp Dog Agility Club of Greater New Orleans trial.
Congratulations also to these All-American Dogs who have earned their PACH:
- PACH Flying Fruit Bat MXP5 MXPS MJP5 MJPS PAX NFP owned by Cathy Lokey of Amarillo, TX
- PACH Bo Levesque MXP3 MXPB MJP4 MJPB PAX owned by Shauna Lee Levesque of Lake in The Hills, IL
- MACH5 PACH Zinfandel Hackman MXB2 MJS2 MXP3 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX XF T2B6 owned by Betsy and Gene Hackman of Santa Fe, NM
- PACH Jamie Rush MXP4 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX XFP T2BP CGCU owned by Alison A. Rush of Palos Park, IL
- MACH2 PACH Betty Sue Stien MXS MJS2 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX MXF MFP T2B owned by H. F. Rick Stienecker of Cypress, TX
- PACH Beverly’s Trooper MXP4 MXPB MJP7 MJPS PAX MFPB T2BP3 owned by Beverly Silverman of Henderson, NV
- PACH Lexis Thomas 2 MXP3 MXPB MJP5 MJPS PAX owned by Jennifer Ann Thomas of Sheridan, AR
- PACH Charlotte G MXP4 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX owned by Amber Gallagher of Abrams, WI
- PACH Olszewski’s Gidget MXP3 MXPB MJP4 MJPB PAX NFP T2BP owned by Sandra Olszewski of Freeland, MDMACH3 PACH Maxman RN MXC MJS2 MXPB MJP3 MJPB PAX OF T2B RATN TKA owned by Pat Ann McGowan of Ortonville, MI
COURSING ABILITY TESTS
Coursing Ability Excellent (CAX)
Congratulations to these dogs for earning multiple CAX titles:
- Iyong Tapat Kaibigan FDC CAX13 BCAT DN owned by Stephanie Joan Markgraf of Burlington, NC
- Licorice Miller CAX3 DCAT CGCA CAX3 owned by David H. Miller of Greenbush, NY
- Arianna Brown CAX2 FCAT CGC CAX2 owned by Pamela Brown of Cudahy, WI
- Kendall’s Myles To Home CAX2 owned by Ronda Kendall of Jefferson, IA
- Lucy’s Got Some ‘Splainin’ To Do CD RE CAX2 FCAT RATO CGC owned by Nancy A. Lewin of Cedar Grove, WI
- Woodacre’s Little Big Man CAX2 BCAT CGCA TKI owned by Jackie Phillips of San Leandro, CA
- Woodacre’s Lucky Dragon CD BN RN CAX2 BCAT CAX2 owned by Jackie Phillips of San Leandro, CA
Coursing Ability Excellent – Congratulations to these dogs for earning their first CAX for passing the CAT test 25 times:
Bob’s Bad Dream Sam CAX owned by Jill and Jason Butkovich of Faribault, MN
Jill and Jason had lost a dog to old age and were ready to look for a new pet. Jill started the search online, and the first picture that popped up was of Sami, a rescue with the Humane Society of South Dakota.
“Her hair was swirling around her face in the wind, and her brown eyes just leapt out at me, and I knew then that I needed her,” said Jill. “My husband went and adopted her early the next day.”
It turned out that this was Sami’s second time in the shelter in her first year. Shortly after joining the Butkovich family, Sami went flying through the house with an expensive electric toothbrush in her mouth, and Jason said, “so… why do you think she was given up twice?!”
“Sami has been just a wonderful blessing to us,” said Jill. “She is a certified clown who runs like the wind, just for the pure joy of running. When we heard about AKC’s CAT we knew that this was the perfect outlet for her. Coursing has brought joy not only to Sami, but to us as well!” Sami earned her CAX in Des Moines, IA, on Sept. 16, 2018.
Gracie Lou Flak CD BN RA CAX CGCA owned by Abby Flak of Decorah, IA
Gracie Lou is a 5-year-old lab mix, adopted by Abby from a rescue organization at 8 weeks old. In October 2018 she earned her CAX, just two years after her debut in the sport. Gracie also participates in barn hunt, dock diving, rally, and obedience. When she isn’t competing, she enjoys going for hikes, playing ball, and snuggling.
Congratulations also to these All-American Dogs for earning the CAX:
- Drivetrain I’D Wrap That RN FDC CAX BCAT CGC TKA owned by Alyshia Funk of New Salem, PA
- Gunnar Allensson McKnight CAX BCAT owned by Ronda McKnight of King, NC
- Jeni’s Home Hold Tight and Pretend It’s A Plan CAX ACT2 CGCA TKP owned by Katharine H. Renner of Sewickley, PA
- Eevee III CAX BCAT owned by Quynh Nguyen of San Jose, CA
- Momo XVI CAX owned by Quynh Nguyen of San Jose, CA
Congratulations to these FCAT title earners for earning 1,000 points:
- Koda Dane Lincoln Mo Rausch CAX FCAT2 RATM CGC TKN owned by Jeanette Showalter Rausch of Mount Juliet, TN
- Samantha Rose Rausch RN CAX FCAT RATS CGC TKN owned by Jeanette Showalter Rausch of Mount Juliet, TN
- Houdini’s Hanky Panky RN OA OAJ NJP OF CAX2 FCAT SIN THD RATO CGC owned by Pam Brownlee of Kingsport, TN
- PACH Emmy Lue RA FDC MXP12 MXPC MJPB PAX XFP T2BP CAX4 FCAT RATCH CGCA TKA owned by Jennifer Baiocco of Cocoa, FL
- Lauren’s Zoo Rez CA FCAT owned by Lauren Smitherman of Mobile, AL
- Berks Jackson NAP NJP NFP CA FCAT SCN SBN SHDN RATO CGCA TKA owned by Jennifer Baiocco of Cocoa, FL
- Ruby in The Rough OA OAJ CA FCAT DJ CGC TKP FCAT owned by Katharine Marshall Lenhart of Dayton, OH
- Chase’s Crazy Train CAA FCAT owned by Sharyl Barnes of Shelbyville, TN
- Sanderson’s Lilly CA FCAT owned by KRISTIN SANDERSON of Maury City, TN
- Lucy’s Got Some ‘Splainin’ To Do CD RE CAX2 FCAT RATO CGC owned by Nancy A. Lewin of Cedar Grove, WI
- Arianna Brown CAX2 FCAT CGC owned by Pamela Brown of Cudahy, WI
- Nataki’s Life in The Fast Lane RN FCAT CGCA TKP owned by Gwen and Stephen Carr of Frederick, MD
- Eclipso’s Legacy Night King RN NA NAJ NF CAX FCAT owned by Amy Margaret Eckert of Pottsville, PA
- Emberly RN OA OAJ XF CAA FCAT SCN SIN SEN RATM DMA owned by Kathryn Tyler Smiley of Fall Branch, TN
- Found by God’s Grace, Kaylee Grace FCAT DN owned by Kris Voit and William Hoosier of Haymarket, VA
- Shannon XI CAX FCAT owned by Lori Stephenson/John Stephenson of Manassas, VA
- Creek Ridge Found in A Pickle CD BN RE FDC CAX3 FCAT ACT1 THDN CGCA CGCU TKN owned by Terry Lane of Peachtree City, GA
- Joannas Marble Eyed Girl CAA FCAT ACT2 CGCA TKI owned by Joanna Marie Matos of Hudson, FL
Congratulations to this dog for earning a second FCAT:
- Koda Dane Lincoln Mo Rausch CAX FCAT2 RATM CGC TKN owned by Jeanette Showalter Rausch of Mount Juliet, TN
- Abigail’s Affair Du Coeur CA DCAT owned by Sherri Lynn Hamilton-Hingson of Lake City, FL
- Alley Oop! DCAT ONYX TKN owned by Maureen R. Setter of Orange Park, FL
- Axle Chumley DCAT owned by Gene K. Chumley of Abingdon, VA
- Black Bat DCAT DCAT owned by Gillian Stoodley of Silver Spring, MD
- Bucket Brigade DCAT owned by Rebecca Munson of Davis, CA
- Chief of Security RN DCAT CGCA TKI owned by Ellen Zeleznik of Corvallis, OR
- Dmt’s Christmas In Dixie CAA DCAT CGC TKP owned by Danny Terry of Eclectic, AL
- Ely-Harmony Woods Mad Madison MX MXJ CAX2 DCAT CGCA TKN owned by Mari Coderre of Freehold, NJ
- Flying Pucks Dragonrider DCAT owned by Carle Lee Detweiler of Timonium, MD
- Found by God’s Grace, Kaylee Grace FCAT DN owned by Kris Voit and William Hoosier of Haymarket, VA
- Hayden’s Oliver CA DCAT CGC owned by Nancy A. Hayden of Smiths Grove, KY
- Hyde Park’s Sweet Petunia CAA DCAT CGCA TKA owned by Grayce S. Berman of Tallahassee, FL
- Jersey Shore Lindsey Lou Who NA OF DCAT ACT2 CGC TKN owned by Laura Williams and Michael Alexander of Matawan, NJ
- Just Candy CD PCD BN RE FDC DCAT ACT1 CGCA CGCU TKP owned by Pat Holladay of Murfreesboro, TN
- Licorice Miller CAX3 DCAT CGCA owned by David H. Miller of Greenbush, NY
- Little Miss Marci RN NJP DCAT THD CGC TKN owned by Jane Toothman of Abingdon, VA
- Lizzie Smith DCAT CGCA TKI owned by Joanne M. Smith and Miles Drake of Upper Marlboro, MD
- Gif CA DCAT FDCH TKN owned by Maureen R. Setter of Orange Park, FL
- Moonridge Captain Dynamite DCAT RATN TKN owned by Karen and Thomas Orr of Knoxville, TN
- Mozart’s Fly Me to The Moon RN FDC DCAT CGC owned by Valerie Aldred of Charlotte, NC
- Pickle Pickle CAA DCAT CGCA owned by Georganna L. Acord of Frazeysburg, OH
- Princess Jia Li Of Faerie RM DCAT THDX RATS CZ8B CGCA CGCU TKA owned by Dr. Cynthia Rae Becker DDS MAGD of Fishers, IN
- Queen Sophie DCAT ACT1 RATO CGC TKN owned by Martina Engel of Columbus, GA
- Saltwater Taffy CA DCAT CGC TKN owned by Raymond M. Shanklin of Salisbury, MD
- Schatzi IX CAA DCAT CGC owned by Lori and John Stephenson of Manassas, VA
- Scout’s Honor CA DCAT owned by Sarah Elizabeth Hughes of Hedgesville, WV
- Christopher CAA DCAT DJ CGC owned by Georganna L. Acord of Frazeysburg, OH
- Terrific Tytan Top Bojack CA DCAT owned by Amy H. Paynter of Gresham, OR
- Tuvi RN DCAT RATN CGCA TKP owned by Brenda Degnan-Kormylo of Winter Springs, FL
- Windsor’s Southern Cowboy FDC CA DCAT TKN owned by Gail Krueger of Vancouver, WA
- Zoey Furiously Happy CAX DCAT TKN owned by Pam Buswell of Gorham, ME
Utility Dog Excellent (UDX)
Congratulations to this All-American Dog who has earned the UDX title:
- Make Me an Angel UDX OM1 BN RM RAE NAP NJP TKA owned by Connie Kniseley of Roanoke, VA
Congratulations to this dog who has earned another UDX:
- OTCH Lola Sugar and Spice UDX5 PCDX OM8 BN GN GO RE CAA CGCA CGCU owned by Kathryn Harvey of Apple Valley, MN
Utility Dog (UD)
Congratulations to these dogs who have earned the UD title:
Good Shepherd’s Anticipation UD PCDX BN GO RAE owned by Alice D. Applin of Racine, WI
Good Shepherd Anticipation completed his Utility Dog title on Nov. 24, 2018, at Western Waukesha County Dog Training Club. Hank competes as an All-American Dog although he is a pure-bred English Shepherd, a breed not recognized by AKC. “I am thankful for the opportunity to compete in AKC events and earn performance titles with Hank,” said Alice.
“It was a joy to add the UD title to his RAE title. I have learned to use a lot of play training to build Hank’s confidence and am pleased that several judges have complimented his wagging tail while in the obedience ring,” Alice added. “As we continue forward to earn our Utility Dog Excellent title, Hank and I will strengthen our friendship and enjoy the journey ahead.”
Me and Bobby McGee UD RE CGC owned by Richard and Jackie Canada of Union, SC
Jackie brought McGee home at 6 weeks old, and “McGee has been the ‘find’ of our dog life,” said Richard. “She had him sitting, lying down and retrieving within days. At 12 weeks, rather than using his nose to push his treat dispensing ball around, he sat next to it and used a paw to rock it back and forth eating the treats as they fell out.”
McGee’s training began at 6 months and by 2 years old he had his CGC, RE and UD titles. “He is never still. Every day is a new adventure for McGee. He lives to greet people and he loves to work. He works best when there is a new skill to master,” Richard said, adding that McGee’s motto is ‘Don’t worry Dad. I’ve got this.’”
They are learning Rally Masters exercises, competing for the RAE title, and training in tracking. “I’ve been training dogs since 1979, and this is the most fun I’ve had. Maybe agility next?” McGee earned his UD on Jan. 13, 2019, at the Augusta Kennel Club trial.
Rally Champion (RACH)
Congratulations to the first and second All-American Dogs to become AKC Rally® Champions: RACH Chloe Wild Child UDX OM1 BN VER RM3 RAE3 SWN SCNE SCA SIA SEA THD CGC TKA owned by Nancy C. Nelson of Manorville, NY, and RACH Maxwell Ferguson Mullen Awtrey CD BN RM4 RAE3 FDC CGCA CGCU TKN owned by Barb and Robert Awtrey of Ellicott City, MD!
To earn the prestigious RACH, dogs must achieve a minimum of 300 championship points from the Excellent B and Master classes, and 20 triple qualifying scores obtained from the Advanced B, Excellent B, and Master Classes.
RACH Chloe Wild Child UDX OM1 BN VER RM3 RAE3 SWN SCNE SCA SIA SEA THD CGC TKA owned by Nancy C. Nelson of Manorville, NY
Chloe was rescued from a kill shelter as a puppy. When Nancy adopted her, she was 6 months old and her rescue foster told her that Chloe wanted a job. “Look at all those titles – her rescue mom was right!” said Nancy.
“Chloe is an amazing, intelligent dog who loves the challenge of new things to do. The first time we tried those side by side circles in Rally Master, she looked at me and said, ‘Huh?’ But in no time at all and with a little food lure in practice, she said ‘I got this!’ We love doing them – it’s like we are dancing together!”
Chloe is an entertaining character when it comes to training and trials. “She always works with that sparkle in her eye, so I never know what she may surprise me with. Every time we pass that finish sign, her head goes up high and her ‘woo woo woo’ starts. The more the judge, stewards, or spectators chuckle, the more she’ll ‘woo woo woo.’ She is just telling them she knows she is done, and a jackpot is waiting back at the crate,” added Nancy.
“Chloe, you have given me so much besides all those titles… you’ve taught me to relax, enjoy the ride and be in the moment. You are my joy and my treasure.”
Chloe earned the RACH on July 20, 2018 at the Susque-Nango Kennel Club trial in Binghamton, NY.
RACH Maxwell Ferguson Mullen Awtrey CD BN RM4 RAE3 FDC CGCA CGCU TKN owned by Barb and Robert Awtrey of Ellicott City, MD
Max was born in the wild in Montgomery County, MD, on July 12, 2014, to a feral mother, Fergie. At the age of 2 ½ weeks he and his littermates were removed to a foster home where they were bottle-fed. They flourished under the love and care of a fabulous family. “From the very beginning it was obvious that Max was a very special and talented pup with a tremendous sense of humor!” said Barb.
At 12 ½ weeks, Max joined the Awtrey family, which already included dogs Fenwick (who had competed in obedience and rally) and Annie Alma. Max’s formal training didn’t start until spring 2015 when he was enrolled in a basic obedience class sponsored by the county recreation and parks. It was taught by a close family friend who is also a nationally recognized and respected trainer of Dobermans in obedience and conformation.
Since he first started rally in 2016, Maxwell has been eligible for the AKC Rally National Championships. He has also earned his Farm Dog Certificate, AKC Community Canine and Urban Canine Good Citizen certifications, and the AKC Trick Dog Novice title.
Max earned his AKC Rally Champion title on Nov. 29, 2018, at the Catoctin Kennel Club trial in Point of Rocks, MD. At that same trial, he also earned his Rally Master 4 and his Rally Advanced Excellent 3 titles. Additionally, Max was eligible to compete at Champion level at the 2019 Rally National Championships.
Every week Max continues to train in both obedience and rally while also acting as demonstration dog for beginner classes. He is scheduled to take an Introduction to Agility class and will continue to work toward additional RACH titles as he plans to compete at Companion Dog Excellent (CDX) level this summer.
Rally Master (RM)
Congratulations to these first-time RM recipients:
Ba Sammy Jo UD PCDX BN GN GO VER RM RAE SEN owned by Brittany J. Allen of Decorah, IA
Miss Sammy Jo, a 5-year-old All American, was adopted from a shelter at 8 weeks old. She earned her Rally Master title on Oct. 28, 2018, in Decorah, IA. Sammy went 10-for-10 while working towards the RM, earning several perfect scores in her rally career. Sammy Jo and Brittany enjoyed learning the challenging new signs, Sammy’s personal favorites being “back up” and “spin.”
Their background in obedience makes rally very enjoyable for this team. They also compete in scent work, barn hunt, coursing, dock diving, and agility. In her free time, Sammy enjoys hiking, swimming, and taking long naps. “Her goals include earning a UDX and continuing with the other sports she loves,” said Brittany. “Sammy’s upbeat personality, willingness to learn, and versatility makes her a total joy.”
Kiss My Gritz RM OA AXJ OF TKE owned by Ellen Virginia Powers of Gainesville, FL
Gritz was 2 years old when Ellen adopted him from a rescue organization in Georgia. “At the time,” said Ellen, “he knew nothing.” She thought he would love agility but found out that he really loved rally. He moved up the rally ranks quickly, never failing to qualify at a trial. Just after getting his Rally Master title at the Orlando Dog Training Center on Sept. 29,2018, he got his AKC Elite Performer Trick Title while performing live at the 2018 AKC National Championships in Orlando. Ellen plans to move on to musical freestyle and hopes to get back to agility in the future. “Gritz is the best little boy ever!”
Luke Skywalk CD RM CGC TKA owned by Amanda, Levi, and Jonathan Olson of Otsego, MN
Luke is a 3-year-old lab/pointer mix that the Olsons got as a puppy. They started with puppy kindergarten classes and moved on to basic obedience as they wanted a dog with general obedience skills. They had never learned how to train those skills themselves.
Amanda found out that she enjoyed working with Luke and that training was a great outlet for his energy, so they continued training one to two nights a week and entered their first rally trial when he was 11 months old.
“We have become great friends with the people we train with,” said Amanda. In addition to rally, they have started competing in agility and have enjoyed Fast CAT events. “Luke is first and foremost a family pet who we love being able to do events with to showcase his talents,” said Amanda. He earned the RM on Nov. 3, 2018 at the Greater Twin Cities Golden Retriever Club trial.
Pogue’s Bella Mia CD BN RM RAE THDN CGCA owned by Andrea and Devon Pogue of Meridian, ID
Mia is a Great Pyrenees/German Shorthaired Pointer cross born on March 13, 2012. She and Andrea earned CGC and Obedience BN and CD titles before attempting competitive Rally.
“Mia is, and will forever be, my Novice A dog,” said Andrea. “A solid obedience foundation served us well as we began competing in rally.
“This sport really clicked for us as a team, and 2018 was a big year for Mia,” added Andrea. “She was recognized by AKC as an Achiever Dog in March and went on to earn her RAE and RM in less than a year.” She earned her RAE and RM on consecutive days – Oct. 13 and 14, 2018 – at the Lizard Butte Kennel Club trial. Mia was awarded her RAE on Oct. 13 and her RM title on Oct. 14 at the Lizard Butte Kennel Club shows held in Boise, ID. While earning these titles, the team won several Triple High Qualifying Scores.
Mia travelled 1,686 miles serving as a therapy dog at a hospital, Alzheimer’s facility, libraries, school events and other pet therapy outings. “She is a competitor with a heart of gold.”
Shameless Poc-Ket Of Petunias CD BN RM AX OAJ CAA BCAT RATCH CGC TKP owned by Kelly Castle of Clermont, FL
Kelly had stopped by Petco to pick up a few supplies, and an animal shelter was having an adoption fun day. “As I entered the building, I noticed this cute little black and white puppy standing on her hind legs screaming at the lure coursing going on in the field across from her. Most of the shelter volunteers were appalled by such behavior. I, on the other hand, was smitten! I sat down on the curb and just watched her. She didn’t miss a thing and she greeted everyone who stopped to pet her with a wiggly tail,” Kelly said. Her shelter name was Petunia and later that week, Kelly adopted her and gave her a new name: Zuri.
Kelly found that Zuri had many insecurities related to being a parvo survivor and spending a lot of time in the hospital. Shelter life was also hard on her. Obedience training started right away. It wasn’t until they started trick training that Kelly noticed Zuri’s love of showing off and performing. A year after Kelly adopted her, they returned to the same adoption fun day and won the trick dog contest — and they won it the next two years as well.
Zuri quickly took to any new sport she tried. She has earned titles in agility, obedience, rally, coursing, tricks and Barn Hunt, earning her RM on December 13, 2018 at the Orlando Dog Training Club trial in Orlando, FL.
“I like to describe Zuri as naughty, cuddly, driven, relentless, mischievous, protective, bossy, physical and brilliant but mostly endearing. Everyone who meets her loves her for a different reason; she just wins people over with her fun attitude. I believe in kismet – that I was meant to see her that day and that she was meant to be with me. She is one of the biggest joys in my life. She has been my best overall performance dog and has made me so proud to call her mine, even when her wicked sense of humor shows up.”
Ziva D. Of Wissota CDX PCDX BN GN RM RAE6 THDN FDCH RATN CGC TKA owned by Rexann Lemke of Chippewa Falls, WI
Rexann adopted Ziva when she was about a year old and “there was an immediate connection between us,” she said. “I never expected that we would accomplish all the things we have. Ziva has earned titles in obedience, tricks, freestyle, barn hunt, and flyball, but rally is her favorite.”
Ziva is a Canine Good Citizen and Therapy Dog. She is Rexann’ s demo dog for her trick, Canine Good Citizen and therapy Dog classes.
This team has competed twice at the AKC Obedience Classic, earning the “Top All American” in 2013, and in six of the Rally National Championships. This year they were set to do it again, but Rexann became ill and they were unable to make it to Tulsa.
“Our bond is so strong sometimes I think she reads my mind. She is a hard worker and always does her best for me, but our goal is to have fun at whatever we do. Thank you, AKC for including All Americans in Companion Sports!”
Congratulations also to these dogs for earning the RM title:
- Baileys Arms Daytona CD PCD BN RM CGCA TKN owned by Karen and Andrew Carr of Egg Harbor City, NJ
- Jay Dee CD RM RAE OA OAJ AJP CGC owned by Terry Gray and Steven Petto of Las Cruces, NM
- Jiggity J CD BN RM owned by Mary Patterson of Monticello, MN
- Lolatan RM CGCA owned by Catherine and Edward Goyette of Sherman, CT
- Shameless Poc-Ket Of Petunias CD BN RM AX OAJ CAA BCAT RATCH CGC TKP owned by Kelly Castle of Clermont, FL
- Tikka RM CGCA CGCU TKA owned by Emilee Weniger of Williamsburg, VA
- Tycho’s Equinox CD PCD BN GN RM RAE FDC CGCA owned by Cayla Wallwork of Austin, TX
- Zebedee Of Huckleberry Hill Rd. RM RAE CGCA TKA owned by Dawn Martine Furniss of Brookfield, CT
Congratulations to these dogs who have added more RMs to their names:
- Daisy Duke XVII BN RM2 RAE2 NJP OFP ACT2 CGCA TKA owned by Colleen Swierkocki of Wayne, NJ
- Jeanniejo’s The Almighty Samson CD RM2 RAE CGCA owned by Jo Ann Ray and Jean Miyoko Gutridge of Maryland Heights, MO
Multiple Rally Advanced Excellent (RAEs)
Congratulations to these dogs who have added more RAEs to their names:
- Ziva D. Of Wissota CDX PCDX BN GN RM RAE6 THDN FDCH RATN CGC TKA owned by Rexann Lemke of Chippewa Falls, WI
- Mattie Ross CDX BN RAE4 AX OAJ XF CA CGC owned by Arwen Price of Lexington, KY
- RACH Maxwell Ferguson Mullen Awtrey CD BN RM4 RAE3 FDC CGCA CGCU TKN owned by Barb and Robert Awtrey of Ellicott City, MD
- Sandy River Casts A Shadow CD PCD BN RM RAE3 MXP2 MJP3 MJPB MFP T2BP2 TKN owned by Jan Treharne of Brush Prairie, WA
- Bits CD BN RAE2 owned by Jan and Max Hunt of Woodinville, WA
- Daisy Duke XVII BN RM2 RAE2 NJP OFP ACT2 CGCA TKA owned by Colleen Swierkocki or Wayne, NJ
- MACH3 Sassy V RAE2 MXC PAD MJC PJD MFS TQX T2B6 owned by Mette Bryans of Eureka, CA
Congratulations also to these first-time RAE recipients:
- Jeanniejo’s The Almighty Samson CD RM2 RAE CGCA owned by Jo Ann Ray and Jean Miyoko Gutridge of Maryland Heights, MO
- Rolling Thunder CDX BN RAE owned by Wynne and Gary Guiles of Boise, ID
- Shepherd’s Liquid Courage RAE OA OAJ OF CGCA TKN owned by Katie McLaughlin and Michael Shepherd of Simpsonville, KY
CT (Champion Tracker)
CT Sype’s Harlie RA TDU FDC THDA CGCA CGCU TKA owned by Gail and George Sype of Rossford, OH
Harlie is a very loving happy “mooch pooch,” who is about 9 ½ years old. The Sypes adopted him at 8 months of age from a rescue organization.
“We love our boy beyond words,” said Gail. “The previous owners said he was untrainable. They never gave him a chance. We grabbed that opportunity and ran for it.”
Harlie started track training with George before AKC allowed All Americans to enter this event. Harlie, George, and Gail all overcame serious health issues on the way to earning the prestigious Champion Tracker title on Nov. 4, 2018, through the Obedience Training Center of Greater Lansing.
“Our journey was long, but well worth it. We had a great tracking trainer. We met a lot of new friends and continue to keep in touch. The clubs where we attended events were beyond fantastic – Fort Wayne, Thorn Creek, Marshbanks, and Lansing,” added Gail.
Harlie enjoys Doggy Day Care where he socializes, has fun and burns his energy. He became a therapy dog almost a year after being adopted. He loves doing tricks and putting smiles on the faces of patients and caregivers.
There are plans for more fun: as a family they are going into scent work. George and Harlie would like to earn a TD2, possibly a VST2, and continue with rally and Therapy Dog work.
Congratulations also to this new Champion Tracker:
- CT Abby Salois VST owned by Yuko Salois of La Mesa, CA
Tracking Dog (TD) and Tracking Dog Urban (TDU):
Ozzy Price TD TDU owned by Sharon Price and Teresa Reynolds of Duncanville, TX
Four-year-old Ozzy “started tracking as a puppy – around the house, the yard, and on walks his nose was always on the ground,” said Sharon.
In spring 2017, she enrolled him in a tracking class and they were immediately hooked. “With the support and guidance of our tracking friends, Ozzy earned his TDU on Nov. 11, 2018, with the Dallas-Fort Worth Tracking Club at Tarrant County College-NE Campus. A week later, he earned his TD with the Basset Hound Club of Greater Fort Worth at The Resource Center in Fort Worth. The team is now training for a TDX.
“Ozzy loves having an entourage watch him track. At home his playmates are an Australian Shepherd and an Aussie/cattle dog mix. Tracking has provided Ozzy with a way to enhance his natural abilities and provided me with a challenging and fun venue to share a sport with my dog and like-minded people,” said Sharon.
Tracking Dog Excellent (TDX):
Farm’s Pride Robbie TDX TDU TKA owned by Laura Johnson of Churchville, NY
Robbie doesn’t fit the typical profile in the Canine Partners program as Laura has had him “since he was a wee pup and he came from a breeder. He is an English Shepherd, which is not a recognized AKC breed but certainly fits the ‘All American’ profile. These are American farm collies – there was one on almost every small farm in America before the demise of the small farm,” she said.
Robbie is first and foremost Laura’s companion and camping/hiking buddy. They have conquered many miles of trails together in the US and Canada.
“Although smart as a whip, Robbie found obedience and rally a little dry for his taste, but boy did he take a shine to tracking…We have had so much fun together tracking through the years and we appreciate the opportunity to compete at AKC events,” said Laura.
Tracking Dog (TD):
May Bee BN RN TD FDC CA SCN SIN SBN CGC TKA owned by Lisa Steller of Advance, NC
Bee earned her TD on Dec. 2, 2018 at the Winston-Salem Dog Training Club test. She was a stray in Ashe County, NC, and was adopted by Lisa at 7 months old.
Her favorite activities are anything involving her nose, hiking, and swimming and she holds titles in tracking, scent work, tricks, coursing ability, barn hunt, rally, and obedience.
OU Dream in The Thick of It TD CGC owned by Rebecca Kriz of Bonita, CA
Mud is a 2-year-old Border Collie/Golden Retriever mix from an accidental litter between a search and rescue certified border collie and a working line golden retriever. “With parents like that, it is little surprise that he loves to work and use his nose,” said Rebecca. “He enjoys exploring, is so very curious about everything, and isn’t afraid to put himself in the middle of things.”
As a puppy, Rebecca noticed that Mud was always investigating things with his nose, so she wanted to find him an outlet for that instinct. Her primary sport is agility, but they needed a low impact activity to work on while waiting for his joints to mature. “Tracking seemed like a great option! He could practice many concepts that would be useful in any sport such as teamwork and focus while doing something he naturally loves to do,” she said.
Mud earned his TD at the Agility Club of San Diego’s tracking test in Barrett Junction, CA, on Dec. 19, 2018. This was their first tracking test. “I could not believe we passed as Mud was so distracted by all the birds and other exciting things in the environment. Keeping him on task was a challenge. I was patient, and we managed to follow the correct path to the glove.”
After seeing the challenges of working in a field during his TD, Rebecca decided to wait until next season to try for his TDX. “We are hoping to get a chance at a VST this spring, as his focus is much better in that environment. When I started lessons, I wasn’t sure I’d ever want to attend an official test, but I now look forward to finishing his Champion Tracker one day.”
There are five AKC Trick Titles you and your dog can earn:
- AKC Novice Trick Dog (TKN)- Your dog performs 10 skills from the Novice list. (see link to “Application” below for lists of skills). If a dog has a Canine Good Citizen (CGC) certificate or title on record at AKC, it can do 5 Novice tricks (CGC + 5) to earn the Novice title. See the list of tricks here.
- AKC Intermediate Trick Dog (TKI) – Your dog must have the Novice title, plus perform 10 Intermediate tricks. See the list of tricks here.
- AKC Advanced Trick Dog (TKA) – Your dog must have the Intermediate title, plus perform 10 tricks from the Advanced list. See the list of tricks here.
- AKC Trick Dog Performer (TKP) – In this title, handlers perform a short routine with at least 10 tricks with at least 3 tricks using props. See the requirements here.
- AKC Trick Dog Elite Performer (TKE) – In the highest level of Trick Dog, the Elite Performers perform a routine that has a story/script. At least 5 props are used. See the requirements here.
To learn more about the program, click here.
Trick Dog Elite (TKE)
Congratulations to these All-American Dogs who have earned the Trick Dog Elite Title:
Boone of the Big House BN RE CGC TKE owned by Sandra Muench of Plant City, FL
Found wandering in Georgia, Boone, a 14-month-old probable pointer/Catahoula mix, was emaciated with evidence that showed he had been tied outside. He was moved to a Florida rescue group to be fostered before adoption. After seeing his online photo and bio, Sandra knew Boone was destined to become part of her family and she adopted him in November 2016. “When I went to pick him up,” said Sandra, “his foster mom told me that in the three months Boone lived with her family, he gained 30 pounds!”
Following basic obedience class, they took more advanced classes as well as rally. Somewhat aloof at the beginning, Boone’s natural personality has emerged into that of a loving, happy and very energetic clown. When the trainer added tricks classes, they were one of the first students to enroll.
Training alongside his buddy Amos, a Border Collie, Boone earned the Novice title in August 2017 and completed his Elite Performer performance in October 2018 in front of an audience at DogSense Obedience. AKC awarded the TKE title on Nov. 1, 2018.
Boone has participated in a tricks expo at the open house of a veterinarian office, performed tricks live on morning television in a segment about DogSense for FOX13’s Charlie’s World, enjoys being a demo dog in tricks class, and loves to show off his moves whenever asked.
Boone has a repertoire of 50+ tricks with his favorites being limping, sitting pretty, saluting, and taking a bow. “Boone competes in rally, obedience, has been training in agility and dock diving, and loves pulling his cart. He is my All-American partner!”
Nedward The Bold CD BN RA CGC THDN TKE owned by Scott Davidson of Cave Creek, AZ
Nedward is a small All-American rescued from a shelter at 6 weeks old. He has always been a worrier which resulted in his being a reactive fear-biter when he was young. “However, once he began a comprehensive training program in obedience and rally and developed more confidence, the behaviors diminished and eventually stopped,” said Scott.
Ned visits a school for profoundly disabled children, qualified for the AKC Rally National Championship in both Rally Novice and Rally Advanced, and earned his Companion Dog title with two class wins and a class placement.
He enjoys his trick Dog performances as well as continuing to build his repertoire of tricks. Watch for him in the Open obedience class as he works towards his CDX.
Nedward happily lives with breeds of various sizes and personality including a Doberman Pinscher, a Clumber Spaniel, several English Toy Spaniels, and a Chihuahua. He regularly works in Scott’s dog training business as a “BFF” to insecure dogs, helping them to learn to face the world with confidence. “Most importantly, he is the king of ‘Chase Me’ and uses any excuse to begin a game with his canine pals!”
Roger Anderson CGC TKE owned by Sarah M. Anderson of Lisbon, OH
“Most of Roger’s puppyhood was spent in a crate (20+ hours a day),” said Sarah. “I got him when he was about 11 months old when his owners didn’t want him anymore and were going to take him to the dog pound. I was more than happy to give him a loving home.”
After he adjusted, Sarah took Roger to classes at A Place for Paws where he got his CGC and therapy dog certificate. “I was still looking for some fun things for us to do together. We enrolled in tricks at Dogsmartz Unleashed and we both absolutely loved it,” she said. “Roger excelled at tricks. The more he accomplished, the more he wanted to do. We went on to complete all six of the trick level classes offered by Dogsmartz. Roger loves doing tricks and learning new ones.” His application for the TKE was submitted on Dec. 12, 2018, and he received the award on January 9, 2019.
“It’s hard to believe how great a dog he has become and how far he has come. How could anyone not love him? I am thinking about what our next adventure should be. I am leaning towards rally. I think we would have a lot of fun.”
Smores West CD PCD BN RA FDC RATN CGCA CGCU TKE owned by Rhonda Marie West of Binghamton, NY
Smores was born in South Carolina on May 22, 2010, and landed in the Darlington, SC, shelter as a puppy with her three siblings. They were rescued by Every Dog’s Dream Rescue in Greene, NY, and in April2011, Rhonda met and adopted her.
Looking for some basic training, Rhonda contacted the SusqueNango Kennel Club to find that they offered CGC classes. “I also learned that AKC had just started the Canine Partners program in 2010, and Smores was able to show as an All American; YES!” she said.
Smores enjoys the various sports offered by AKC: they are working on Scent Work, Tracking, and Agility (beginner). Smores also has titles in Obedience, Farm Dog, Barn Hunt, Tricks, CGC and Rally. She qualified and went to the AKC Rally Nationals in 2014 for Novice).
“We enjoyed creating the video at our farm for the AKC Tricks Performer Elite Title that we were awarded on Dec. 21, 2018 and hope to have more AKC adventures in the near future.”
Congratulations also to these dogs for earning the Trick Dog Elite Title:
- Nash Luch CGCA CGCU TKE owned by Marianne Luch of Naples, FL
- Raggedy Ann Stevens BN RA CA BCAT DS CGC TKE owned by Peggy Brown Stevens of Warner Robins, GA
- River’s Blue Ivy NAJ OAP AJP NFP BCAT TKE owned by Kala and Tina Sizemore of Hedgesville, WV
- Sugar Berger CGC TKE owned by ARIEL BERGER of Tucson, AZ