This section of the AKC website offers practical information as well as facts and statistical information on a variety of dog-related topics. The information provided will ensure you have the proper skills to successfully choose, raise, and train your new canine friend.
About the AKC
Founded in 1884, the AKC is the largest purebred dog registry in the world. Along with its more than 5,000 licensed and member clubs and affiliated organizations, the AKC advocates for the purebred dog as a family companion, advances canine health and well-being, works to protect the rights of all dog owners and promotes responsible dog ownership.
- History of the AKC
- Test Your AKC IQ!
- AKC Departments
- AKC Canine Health Foundation: Fast Facts
- AKC Reunite: Fast Facts
Meet the Breeds
Facts about the breeds recognized by the AKC.
- Becoming Recognized by the AKC
- Breeds and Varieties List
- Breeds by Year Recognized
- Registration Statistics
- Top Breeds by City
- Top Dog Names
- Top 125 Dogs in Pop Culture
- Dogs & Cats of the Jersey Shore
- The 15 Largest Dog Breeds: More Dog To Love
- The 25 Smallest Dog Breeds
Highlights from surveys conducted by the AKC on a variety of dog-related lifestyle, economic, and other topical trends.
- Holiday Survey: Beloved Family Dog is Still Least Likely to Get Coal in their Stocking
- New Years Survey: Dog Lovers Plan to Get Fit with Fido
- Economic Woes No Competition for Americans’ Dedication to Their Dogs
- Disaster Preparedness Survey
- Fido Fixation: Dogs and Interpersonal Relationships
- Financing Fido: Cost of Dog Ownership Survey
- Doggy Dress Up: Canine Halloween Costume Survey
- Dog Owners vs. Non-Dog Owners Opinion Survey
- Economic Benefits of Dog Shows
How to Find the Right Dog
Each of the breeds recognized by the AKC has its own unique temperament, coat type, size, energy level and appearance that make it uniquely suited for particular family settings.
- AKC Papers: What Puppy Buyers Need to Know
- The Cost of Owning a Dog
- How to Find a Responsible Breeder
- Top 10 Questions to Ask When Getting a Dog From a Shelter
- Dogs for Allergy Sufferers: Meet the Hypoallergenic Breeds
- Tips for Seniors Considering a Dog
- When the Kids Want a Dog
- The Benefits of a Purebred Dog
- AKC National Breed Club: Breed Rescue
- Cats and Dogs Together
- Building a Good Relationship with Your Dog
Canine Care and Safety
Tips to ensure you and your dog have a long and happy relationship.
- Stress-Free Travel
- Ready For Spring
- When to See the Vet and When to Treat at Home
- Combat Pet Odors in the Home
- Hidden Dangers in the Home
- Help Your Dog Lose Weight
- The Golden Years: Help Your Dog Age Gracefully
- Bringing Your New Baby Home
- Canine Safety Tips for Kids
- Pet Bereavement: How to Cope with the Death of a Dog
- Protect Your Pet from Theft
- Summer Safety
- Winter Care
- Pet-Friendly Fourth Of July Tips
AKC Events and Programs
Each year, the AKC sanctions more than 22,000 events, drawing more than three million entries annually. Dog shows, obedience trials, hunting tests, lure coursing, and earthdog tests are designed for dogs of every breed and inclination.
- AKC Awards for Canine Excellence (ACE)
- The AKC/Eukanuba National Championship: Top Dogs
- Meet the Breeds Fast Facts
- The Road to Best in Show
- Televised Events
- What are Agility Trials?
- What is Junior Showmanship?
- What are Obedience Trials?
- What are AKC Tracking Competitions?
Photos by Mary Bloom & Lisa Croft-Elliott