He stands about one foot tall and looks like a bundle of fluff, but the Schipperke is no lapdog. Bred as a ratter and watchdog, this little Belgian dog is playful, clever, independent and energetic. In fact, he's the very definition of a small dog with a big personality.
1. When he's not hard at work hunting down vermin or serving as the protector of his family, he's a high-spirited and mischievous playmate.
2. Training a Schipperke can be a challenge; he's got an independent and willful personality. But he does well at sports like agility, which also channels his energy.
3. Fans of the breed will tell you that Schipperkes have a tendency to stand on their hind legs…a lot. And sometimes for minutes on end.
4. He's got a goofy side and can be the family comedian.
5. He'll want to “help” you with your tasks.
6. Given his natural curiosity and hunting instinct, Schips can be notorious escape artists. Give him plenty of room to run and lots of exercise, but always in a secure area.
7. This uniquely beautiful dog will give you a lifetime of devotion, with never a dull moment.