Known for its rat-catching and watchdog abilities, the Schipperke is a stout creature that's even more tough than it appears. And that's saying a lot; with its thick body and serious face, it already appears tough. While more laid back, this companion-bred canine still exudes the cleverness and confidence found in the first European breeds. The Schipperke is equal parts work and play, but here are six reasons it excels at its original lookout duties.
1. These dogs know how to focus. When something catches their eye, their gaze will let up only after threat has gone.
2. And not only do they wear solid expressions, but they have a solid build, as well. Their dense coat, compact frame and strong jaw make them ideal chasers.
3. With a cat-like hunting style, these guys autopilot on grace and accuracy.
4. They know how to prioritize, too; even with play as a distraction, they know that safety is more important than a game of fetch.
5. Because of their curious, alert personalities, Schipperkes are on patrol regardless of day, time, or weather.
6. And really, they just love you too much to not be.