By: The American Bloodhound Club with assistance from Julie Swigart
The Bloodhound is described as independent, inquisitive, and friendly. But there's a lot more to the breed than their great sense of smell and floppy ears, and you have to own one to truly know them. That's why only Bloodhound owners will understand these 10 truths:
- Bloodhounds are major counter surfers and you can never turn your back on them – it is best to train early that the kitchen is off limits or ALL counter tops, tables, etc. are OFF LIMITS.
- Slobber will become a part of your daily life. Slobber is just a sample of DNA that shows how much your Bloodhound truly loves you. It can also be a substitute for coffee creamer.
- Your lap is always an acceptable place to sit. They have NO IDEA how big they are. Even at 120-plus pounds they think they should still be able to sit on you.
- Dog hair is a condiment. It's everywhere and you just learn to smile and embrace it– or at least they will.
- They MUST smell everything. It's best to just let them smell everything within reason. However, they are very focused once they pick up a trail, so they should only be free in a fenced-in yard.
- They can contort their bodies into the most uncomfortable positions and sleep peacefully.
- They love to give hugs.
- They will use their sad eyes to get out of trouble.
- They are VERY smart. Some can learn to open closed doors and know how to hide objects in those lips such as toys, pears, socks, etc.
- They will always love you no matter what.
To learn more about the breed, visit the American Bloodhound Club's website.