Foundation Stock Service® FAQs

Common Questions and Answers

Q: If I purchase/acquire a dog that is from an FSS®-recorded litter, is the dog automatically considered FSS®-recorded?

In order to have the dog recorded, you need to forward your FSS® application to the AKC for review with the appropriate fees. You should receive the FSS® application form from the person from whom you bought/acquired the dog.

Q: If I purchase/acquire a dog that is not from a litter produced by an FSS®-recorded sire and dam but the dog is from an acceptable registry, can I apply for FSS® recording?

Yes, you can apply to the FSS® by forwarding your application and fee to the AKC for review. Every application will be evaluated on its own merit. Applications for the FSS® can be downloaded from our website, or obtained from the AKC by calling (919) 233-9767 or by writing to AKC, 8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100, Raleigh, NC 27617-3390.

Q: If I purchase/acquire a dog that was recorded by the previous owner in the Foundation Stock Service®, can I transfer the Foundation Stock Service® Certificate to my name?

The Foundation Stock Service® Certificate can be transferred to your name by properly completing the reverse side of the certificate and forwarding it to the AKC with the appropriate fee for review.

Q: What are the acceptable foreign registries?

Acceptable foreign registries are listed in the AKC's Special Registries Services pamphlet.

Q: Do I need import papers to record my foreign-born rare breed?

If your foreign-born rare breed is registered with an acceptable foreign registry, the registry papers, your three-generation pedigree and the completed FSS® application with two photos of the dog should be forwarded to the AKC with the appropriate fee for review.

Dogs with two-generation pedigrees, one-generation pedigrees or names of sire and dam only, are eligible for enrollment in FSS® as the foundation stock of future generations.

Q: How will I know if my dog has been recorded in the Foundation Stock Service®?

FSS® certificates will be issued for dogs recorded with the Foundation Stock Service®.

Q: Do I have to be a member of a club to have my dog recorded in the Foundation Stock Service®?

No. This optional record-keeping service is open to individuals as well as members of organizations.

If you have additional questions regarding the Foundation Stock Service® program, direct them to: (e-mail)

Mari-Beth O'Neill
AVP Special Services
8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100
Raleigh, NC 27617-3390