- Public Education
- The Dog Days of Summer Contest
Dog Days of Summer Art Contest
How did you and your dog spend the warm summer months? Did you go for long walks, swim in the ocean, or hike in the mountains? In honor of summer's end, draw a picture of you and your dog doing your favorite summer activity for a chance to win!
Entries must be submitted by September 30, 2015, 4:30 pm ET.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. MANY WILL ENTER, FEW WILL WIN. A PURCHASE OR PAYMENT OF ANY KIND WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. You must have permission from your parent or legal guardian prior to entering.
1. Eligibility: AKC The Dog Days of Summer Contest (the “Contest”) is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia who are between five (5) and seventeen (17) years of age at the time of entry and are enrolled in school (or home schooled). Employees of American Kennel Club and its affiliated companies (“Contest Entities”) as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. Participation in the Contest constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and Sponsor’s decisions, which are final and binding in all matters related to this Contest. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein. The Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law.
2. Sponsor: The American Kennel Club, Inc., 260 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016.
3. Contest Description: The Contest begins on August 1, 2015, at 12:00 a.m. Eastern Time (“ET”), and ends on September 30, 2015, at 4:30 pm ET (the “Contest Period”). Sponsor’s computer is the official time-keeping device for this Contest.
4. How to Enter: To participate, you will need to draw a picture (no larger than 8” X 12”) of you and your dog doing your favorite summer activity (the “Picture”). The Picture must be an original picture created by you and must not have been submitted in any other contest or promotion. During the Contest Period, (i) upload your Picture and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org, and (ii) include the Picture medium, your first name, age, grade and parent’s e-mail address in the e-mail. By completing these two steps, you will receive one (1) entry into the Contest. You must have the permission of your parent or legal guardian (“Parent”) to submit the entry and such entry shall be deemed submitted by your Parent and shall be treated as if the Parent has made such entry.
LIMIT: ONE (1) ENTRY PER PERSON.
5. Winner Determination: The entries will be split up into three (3) grade categories (each, a “Grade Category”): K-3, 4-8 and 9-12. The entries will be judged by a qualified panel of judges (to be selected by Sponsor in its sole discretion) at the conclusion of the Contest Period based on the following judging criteria:
Fit to the Contest theme (30%)
Quality of Picture (30%)
Each entry will be assigned a score for each judging criteria. The two (2) entrants from each Grade Category with the highest total scores will be declared a potential “first place winner” and “honorable mention winner”, respectively (subject to verification and compliance with these Official Rules). In the event of a tie for a potential winner spot, the head judge will select such potential winner based on Creativity/Originality of Picture.
6. Winner Requirements: Sponsor will send an e-mail to the Parents of the potential prize winners on or around October 9, 2015. Each Parent will be required to take the specified steps provided in the message within 48 hours of receiving the win notification. If the Parent of a potential winner of any prize cannot be contacted, fails to respond with the requested contact information within the required time period, fails to provide the required documentation/assurances, or does not comply with these Official Rules, the potential winner will be disqualified and forfeits the prize. If a prize is forfeited or returned as undeliverable, Sponsor may award the applicable prize to a runner-up who received the next highest score. Each winner’s Parent agrees to indemnify Sponsor, Released Parties (as defined in Section 11) and any licensee of Sponsor against all claims, damages, liabilities, and expenses (including reasonable counsel fees and legal expenses) arising out of any breach of these terms. Prizes will be mailed to the Parents of the winners within 4 - 6 weeks after end of Contest Period.
7. Prizes: There will be one (1) first place prize and one (1) honorable mention prize for each Grade Category (i.e., six (6) prizes in total). The prizes are as follows:
First Place Prize: one (1) of each - AKC baseball cap, AKC pencil, AKC-branded dog collar, AKC-branded dog toy and DVD of a dog-themed movie. Approximate Retail Value (“ARV”): $30.
Honorable Mention Prize: one (1) of each - bag of AKC-branded dog treats, AKC pencil, AKC folder and AKC dog-branded collar. ARV: $15.
Prizes are awarded “as is” with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied. No substitution, exchange or transfer of prize by any winner is permitted. Prizes cannot be redeemed for cash. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute any prize for one of comparable or greater value, at its sole discretion. Each prize winner is responsible for all taxes and fees associated with prize receipt and/or use. Limit: one (1) prize per person.
8. Publicity: Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes the consent of winner’s Parent for the Sponsor and each of its designees to use entrant’s Picture and entrant's first name, age, likeness, prize information, grade, name of school, city and state of residence for advertising, promotional and other purposes, in any manner, in any and all media, now or hereafter devised, worldwide in perpetuity, without further consideration, notification or permission.
9. General Conditions: Sponsor reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures, human error or any other factor impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Contest, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion. In such event, Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may elect to hold a random drawing from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for any or all of the prizes offered herein. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or to be acting in violation of the Official Rules of this or any other Contest or in an inappropriate, unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Sponsor’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
10. Release and Limitations of Liability: Except where prohibited, by participating in the Contest, each Parent agrees to release and hold the Contest Entities and their respective related companies, parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, and their respective agents and agencies, promotional partners, prize partners, and their respective officers, directors, employees and agents (collectively, the "Released Parties") from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Contest or use of the prize, including, but not limited to: (a) unauthorized human intervention in the Contest; (b) technical errors related to computers, servers, providers, or telephone or network lines; (c) printing errors; (d) errors in the administration of the Contest; (e) late, lost, stolen, illegible, inaccurate, delayed, misdirected or undeliverable, posts, email, mail; or (f) injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Contest. Each Parent further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties’ liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Contest and in no event shall the Released Parties be liable for attorney’s fees. Each Parent waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
11. Governing Law: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of entrants and the Contest Entities in connection with the Contest, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of the State of New York, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions. Each entrant’s Parent agrees that: (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, this Contest or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York or the appropriate New York state court; (2) any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs, but in no event including attorneys' fees, disbursements or court costs; and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental and consequential damages, and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket costs.
12. Entrant’s Personal Information: Information collected about entrants is subject to the Sponsor’s Privacy Statement, available at http://www.akc.org/privacy/, and, except as set forth in paragraph 8, will only be used to notify the Parents about the outcome of the Contest.
13. Winners List: To find out the name of the winners, please email the AKC Public Education Department at email@example.com, with the subject line “Dog Days of Summer Contest Winners List,” on or before November 15, 2015.