Students will compare and contrast the role of dogs during the Vietnam War and “war dogs” now.
R9 Compare and contrast one author's presentation of events with that of another.
National Council for the Social Studies Standards
Time, Continuity, and Change
Computers with internet access
- In order to teach this lesson effectively, your students should have a solid understanding of the Vietnam War.
- You may choose to review about the Vietnam war using this video: About Vietnam War
Explicit Instruction/Guided Practice
- Have students read the following articles:
- When students are done, discuss the stories as a class.
Independent Working Time
- Have students complete the Dogs in History sheet.
Review and Closing
- Allow students to share their ideas.
Operation Top Dog, 1965: Remembering the Sentry Dogs of Vietnam. (2016, May). Retrieved from http://www.akc.org/content/akc-history-archive/articles/remembering-the-sentry-dogs-of-vietnam
Smith, S.J. (2015, June 10). Dogs for War. Retrieved from http://www.akc.org/content/news/articles/dogs-for-war/
Vietnam War. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/world-history/euro-hist/cold-war/v/vietnam-war.