Investigating Canine Coat Color Inheritance and Hairless Breeds
Students will interpret data and utilize probability to make determinations.
Common Core Standard
Summarize, represent, and interpret data
Make inferences and justify conclusions from sample surveys and observational studies
Calculate expected values and use them to solve problems
Use probability to evaluate outcomes of decisions
Calculator (at teacher’s discretion)
Computer with internet access
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Review Punnett Squares using a basic trait, such as earlobes (free or attached in humans)
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Pass out the “Investigating Coat Color Inheritance and Hairless Breeds” sheet.
- Work through the first question with the students so that they have a model to use.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Instruct students to complete the sheet.
Review and Closing
- Review the answers with students.
Dog Breeds. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/
Moriello, K. A. (n.d.) Hereditary Alopecia and Hypotrichosis. Veterinary Manual. Retrieved from http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/integumentary_system/congenital_and_inherited_anomalies_of_the_integumentary_system/hereditary_alopecia_and_hypotrichosis.html
UC Davis Vetrinary Medicine. (n.d.). Hairlessness in Terriers. Retrieved from https://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/services/HairlessnessinTerriers.php