Canine Care, Coat Color and Litter Size
Students will apply math concepts and critical thinking skills to pet care and financial planning.
Common Core Standard
Analyze patterns and relationships (Algebraic Thinking)
Multiply and divide multi-digit numbers (Proportional Relationships)
Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area (Expressions and Equations)
Apply and extend previous understandings of operations with fractions to add, subtract, multiply, and divide rational numbers (Proportional Relationships)
Investigate patterns of association in bivariate data (Statistics and Probability)
- Begin with a short review of Order of Operations.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling
- Students should attempt problems 1-8 before proceeding further. When all student are finished with 1-8, review the answers with the students and re-teach material as needed.
- For number 9, take students outside and walk a scaled representation of the area plotted.
Independent Working Time
- Allow students to complete the remaining questions.
Review and Closing
- Review the answers to the questions.
- Have students think, pair, share to answer the following:
- Write 3-5 sentences about how puppies impacted Amy’s finances? Describe the effort it takes to breed and care for dogs responsibly?