Make Your Own Dog Treats
Kids love helping in the kitchen (with proper supervision, of course) and making homemade dog treats in a fun way to work together! You can make these treats for your own dog or as a gift!
What you’ll need:
A blender or food processor
1 ½ Cups of Dry Oatmeal
1 Large Banana
½ Cup Peanut Butter (try to use natural with less sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Use the blender to grind the oats into powder. Alternatively, you can use oat powder if your story carries it. Be sure to check the label for foods that might harm your dog.
- In a bowl, blend together the banana and peanut butter. This would be a good task for your child!
- Keep out about a tablespoon of oatmeal powder, otherwise pour the rest into the bowl and mix.
- Use the tablespoon of oatmeal powder to dust your surface.
- Roll the dough into a large ball and roll out ¼ inch thick. Another great task for your child!
- Cut into shapes of your choosing (a dog bone cookie cutter is fun) and place on a cookie sheet linked with parchment paper.
- Bake treats for about 15 minutes until lightly browned.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to one week.
To learn more about foods that dogs can (and cannot) eat, check out this article: Best and Worst Foods for Dogs
Your child can learn more about dogs and being a responsible dog owner with these fun coloring pages: Download Here
Human Foods Dogs Can and Can’t Eat. (2015, December 03). Retrieved from http://www.akc.org/content/health/articles/human-foods-dogs-can-and-cant-eat/
Kalhh. (n.d.) Untitled [photo]. Retrieved from https://pixabay.com/en/dogs-lick-us-bone-reward-249288/