Highlights from the April 22-23, 2013 meeting of the AKC Board of Directors are as follows. Full...
Highlights from the April 22-23, 2013 meeting of the AKC Board of Directors are as follows. Full details on these actions, as well as other actions taken, are included in the minutes for the meeting, which will be posted on the AKC website.
- The Wirehaired Vizsla becomes eligible for AKC registration on June 2, 2014. On July 2, 2014, the breed becomes eligible to compete in the Sporting Group.
- Effective January 2014, the Open Show name has been changed to the FSS Open Show. Only FSS breeds will be eligible to compete in these events.
- The Board approved an AKC Rally® National Championship, and amended the Rally Regulations to provide for it. The first event will be held in the spring of 2014 in conjunction with the Companion Events Extravaganza.
- The Rally Regulations have been amended to remove the requirement that in order to hold a Rally event, a club had to also hold an Obedience Trial. Any club which becomes eligible to hold AKC Rally events may hold up to twelve Rally events in a year.
- AKC will award titles to Wilderness Search and Rescue Dogs, effective June 1, 2013. To earn this title the dog must have participated in a minimum of five actual wilderness SAR efforts and have been certified by an AKC-recognized SAR certification organization.
- Two modifications effective immediately were made to the Conformation Judging Approval procedure:
- There is a moratorium on any new invitations to apply for additional breeds.
- The identity of all judging applicants will be masked when presented to the Judges Review Committee for consideration.