AKC Welcomes 2007 Summer Interns
The American Kennel Club® is pleased to welcome the seven students participating in the 2007 AKC® Internship Program. The program is geared towards college students with a background and interest in purebred dogs and is designed to further their professional development, as well as help AKC identify potential employees with experience in both AKC operations and the sport.
AKC interns will work on specific project assignments aimed at their interests and career goals. In addition, they will have weekly meetings with a variety of AKC speakers to expose them to all facets of AKC.
The following interns will be employed at AKC for a period of eight weeks, from June 4 to July 27, 2007:
New York Headquarters
- Andrea Flieger - Communications. Andrea comes from St. Louis, Mo. where she is studying for an Associates degree in General Transfer Studies at Forest Park Junior College. After that, she plans to study Criminal Justice with an emphasis on Forensics at a college on the East Coast. In the past she has helped groom and breed Miniature Schnauzers.
- Ellen Schmidt – Archives. Ellen, who is an associate member of both the Irish Wolfhound Club of America and the Rocky Mountain Irish Wolfhound Association, hails from Albuquerque, N.M. She graduated magna cum laude in May, 2007 from the University of New Mexico with a major in History and a minor in Medieval Studies.
- Ashley Currance – Public Education/Canine Legislation. Ashley lives in North Canton, Ohio and is majoring in English at Malone College, where she is a senior. She has been involved in the Canton 4-H Dog Club as well as AKC Agility, Obedience, Conformation and CGC training.
- Kristen Mooney – RDO/Customer Service. Kristen is a native of Zirconia, N.C. Kristen graduated from Western Carolina University in May 2007, where she majored in Management. She is a member of the English Setter Association of America and Hendersonville, North Carolina Kennel Club and is President of the Central Carolina English Setter Club. Additionally, she is involved in AKC Hunt Tests, breeding and handling.
- Katie Peralta – Performance. Katie is originally from Clayton, N.C. She is currently a junior at North Carolina State University majoring in Business, and she has experience handling, breeding and showing dogs. Katie is a member of the American Brussels Griffon Association and National Brussels Griffon Club.
- Amber Short – Coonhounds. Amber is from Tacoma, Wash. and is studying English at the University of Puget Sound, where she is a senior. She is a past AKC Scholarship recipient and has been involved with AKC Junior Showmanship, Agility, Obedience and Conformation events. Amber belongs to the Cavaliers of Puget Sound and the American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club.
- Lauren St. Jean – Business Excellence. Lauren studied Business Administration/Marketing at the Ohio State University where she graduated in March 2007. She is originally from Sunbury, Ohio and has participated in 4-H and AKC Junior Showmanship, as well as Obedience, Conformation and Lure Coursing events.