Protect Your Pet! 5 Pet Theft Prevention Tips
Most dog owners consider their four-legged friend a part of the family, so the thought of the family pet getting stolen is unimaginable. With pet theft consistently on the rise, dog owners need to practice caution when it comes to their pooch. Here are five tips to help keep your dog safe:
- Keep your dog close. Keeping your dog on-leash and close to you during walks will reduce the likelihood of him wandering off and catching the attention of thieves.
- Never leave your dog unattended in your yard. When your dog is outside by himself in the yard, especially if it’s visible from the street, your dog becomes an easy target.
- Be cautious with information about your dog. If strangers approach you to admire your dog when you’re out on walks, be careful with how much information you give. Don’t reveal how much your dog cost or details about where you live.
- Don’t tie your dog outside a store. Leaving your dog tied outside of a store can be a recipe for disaster. If you need to go shopping, go to dog-friendly stores or leave your dog at home.
- Protect your dog with microchip identification – Collars and tags can be removed so make sure you have permanent ID with a microchip. Keep contact information current with your microchip recovery service provider so you can always be found should your dog be recovered. For more information, enroll your pet in a 24-hour recovery service and sign-up at www.akcreunite.org.
For more pet theft prevention and recovery tips, visit www.akcreunite.org.