Highlights from the May 2003 meeting of the AKC Board of Directors are as follows: The Board...
Highlights from the May 2003 meeting of the AKC Board of Directors are as follows:
- The Board authorized the transfer of 2.5 million dollars from the Operating Reserve to a Special Reserve for System Redesign. This figure includes $628,000 to stabilize the current registration system and $1,353,000 in overtime and temporary labor to continue operating the registration system through the end of 2003. The cost estimate to redesign and implement systems modifications and an on-line registration process is $500,000.
- The Board approved a sponsorship grant of $50,000 for the September 19-21, 2003, AKC Canine Health Foundation Parent Club Health Conference in St. Louis, MO.
- It was agreed that the AKC would finance an Obedience Team to compete in the 2004 Crufts Obedience World Cup Competition.
- The Belorussian Cynological Union and the Asociacion Ecuatoriana de Registros Caninos (Ecuador) were added to the list of registries with pedigrees eligible for AKC registration.
- The Open Registration Fee was reduced to $15, effective September 1, 2003.
- The Board approved amendments to the Retriever Field Trial Rules concerning a Derby and an Owner-Handler Qualifying Stake. These changes will be presented to the AKC Delegates for a vote.
- The following Delegates were approved: Ms. Barbara M. Dille to represent the Standard Schnauzer Club of America; Ms. Judith A. Porter to represent the Catonsville Kennel Club, Inc.; James J. Primmer to represent the Portland Dog Obedience Club, Inc.; Ms. Abbe R. Shaw to represent the Santa Barbara Kennel Club; Ms. Suzanne Dower Sliney to represent the Great Barrington Kennel Club; Ms. Laura Wells to represent the Trap Falls Kennel Club, Inc.
- Eleven individuals from California, Florida, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas were suspended for refusal to make dogs and/or records available. One individual from Tennessee was suspended for cruelty violations. Three individuals from Kansas and Missouri were suspended for miscellaneous violations.