Puppies are adorable, but those cute and cuddly puppies are totally dependent on their owners to...
Puppies are adorable, but those cute and cuddly puppies are totally dependent on their owners to help them become happy, healthy, well-adjusted adult dogs. Because adding a dog to your home is a major commitment, the American Kennel Club (AKC®) offers the following tips to help people become responsible dog owners.
- Be sure to socialize your dog by exposing him to new people, places, and experiences.
- Always provide the proper amount of exercise and mental stimulation that is appropriate for your pet’s age, breed and energy level.
- Take care of your dog inside AND out with regular grooming, quality food, and trips to the veterinarian. Keep all vaccinations current.
- Identify your dog with a collar tag and tattoo or microchip ID. If you use a microchip, make sure to enroll your dog in a pet recovery service like AKC Companion Animal Recovery (www.akccar.org) and keep your contact information updated.
- Provide basic training to your dog by teaching a reliable “sit,” “stay” and “come.” Make sure your dog is regarded as a good citizen by your neighbors and the community.
- Adhere to local leash laws and pick-up and properly dispose of your pet’s waste when out on walks.
© American Kennel Club
Comment & Discuss
Enthusiastically agree? Respectfully beg to differ? Have your say here.