New York, NY- The American Kennel Club® is pleased to announce the formation of the AKC Canine...
New York, NY- The American Kennel Club® is pleased to announce the formation of the AKC Canine Health & Welfare Advisory Panel, extending and enhancing AKC's longstanding focus on the health and welfare of dogs. The panel's goal will be to provide factual and impartial information by creating a forum for proactive discourse based on scientific and ethical concerns. The AKC hopes to strengthen opportunities for the public to admire, love and own purebred dogs and to foster greater public education about health concerns relevant to all dogs.
Members of the Panel are:
- Sandra Barker, PhD, NCC, LPC, Director of the Center for Human-Animal Interaction, Virginia Commonweath University
- Jerold Bell, DVM, Clinical Associate Professor of Genetics, Dept. of Clinical Sciences, Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
- Edmund Dziuk, COO, Orthopedic Foundation For Animals, Columbia, MO
- John Hamil, DVM, Canyon Animal Hospital, Laguna Beach, CA
- Joan Hendricks, VMD, PhD, The Gilbert S. Kahn Dean, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine
- Linda Lord, DVM, MS, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, Ohio State University
- Colleen O'Keefe, DVM, MS, Division Manager, Food Safety & Animal Protection, Illinois Department of Agriculture
- Patricia Olson, DVM, PhD, President & CEO, Morris Animal Foundation
- Elaine Ostrander, PhD, renowned canine genomic expert, Bethesda, MD
- Frances Smith, DVM, PhD, Chair and President, Board of Directors,
Orthopedic Foundation For Animals, Columbia, MO; Smith Veterinary Hospital, Inc., Burnsville, MN
Also joining the panel will be AKC Board Members Patricia H. Haines, DVM, and Alan Kalter. AKC President and CEO Dennis Sprung will participate as an ex officio member.
"This impressive group offers a wide range of credentials and knowledge that will be a tremendous resource regarding information on canine health issues that affect all dogs," said Ron Menaker, AKC Chairman. "Americans are more passionate about pets than ever before. The combined expertise and collective dedication to animal welfare that this panel represents will engage the public on the topic of responsible dog breeding and provide balanced information from impartial sources."
For more information about canine health visit www.akcdoghealth.com.