-- Robert A. Amen, Carmen L. Battaglia & Steve D. Gladstone Elected -- At the Annual Meeting...
-- Robert A. Amen, Carmen L. Battaglia
& Steve D. Gladstone Elected --
At the Annual Meeting of the American Kennel Club on March 8, 2011, the AKC Board of Directors Class of 2015 was elected. The three Directors elected were: Robert A. Amen, Delegate for Port Chester Obedience Training Club, Dr. Carmen L. Battaglia, Delegate for the German Shepherd Dog Club of America, and Steven D. Gladstone, Delegate for the Greater Naples Dog Club. In addition, Ronald H. Menaker was re-elected as Chairman of the Board and Dr. Thomas M. Davies was re-elected as the Vice Chairman of the Board at a meeting of the AKC Board of Directors, convened after the Delegate Meeting.
- Ronald H. Menaker has been the Chairman of the AKC Board of Directors since 2002. Menaker represents the Rockford-Freeport Illinois Kennel Club and is Show Chairman for the AKC/Eukanuba National Championship. An active participant in the sport of purebred dogs for more than 40 years, he bred and exhibited Giant Schnauzers, and has also shown Bedlington Terriers and Norfolk Terriers. A licensed AKC judge since 1994, Menaker is approved to judge Best in Show, all Working breeds, all Sporting breeds, all Terrier breeds, and multiple other breeds. Menaker is also a member of the Board of Overseers for the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary School.
Menaker is a retired Managing Director and Head of Corporate Services of J.P. Morgan & Co. Incorporated of New York, and a past President and Director of J. P. Morgan Services, Inc. He is also Vice Chairman and past Chairman of New York Downtown Hospital. Menaker resides in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey with his wife Kathy.
- Dr. Thomas M. Davies, AKC Delegate for the Springfield Kennel Club, was first seated as a delegate in 1974. He was elected to the Board in 2000 and has served on the Public Relations Committee, the Events and Clubs Committee, the Breeders Committee and chaired the Group Realignment Committee.
Dr. Davies has been involved in several breeds, but has had significant influence on the Bearded Collie. His involvement with the breed began before its official recognition by the AKC when he served as president of the Bearded Collie Club of America. While at this post, Davies was responsible for getting the breed into the AKC Stud Book. He is an honorary lifetime member of the club and is the author of the Bearded Collie standard. In the mid-80’s, Dr. Davies became deeply involved in Siberian Huskies and Belgian Sheepdogs. He and his wife have bred and finished many champions in all three breeds. Dr. Davies continues to be an active member of the fancy. He is an approved judge for the Herding Group, Akitas and Siberian Huskies. He has served as show chairman for the Springfield Kennel Club and for the Connecticut River Working Group Association, the country’s first Working Group club. He has also served in various capacities for many all-breed and specialty clubs.
Professionally, Dr. Davies retired from the Bayer Corporation after more than thirty years in various areas of scientific research and product development. He currently resides in Brimfield, Massachusetts with his wife Roberta.
AKC Board of Directors Class of 2015
- Robert A. Amen, of Stamford, Connecticut, has served as an AKC Delegate for Port Chester Obedience Training Club since 2006 and is currently a member of the Delegate Obedience, Tracking & Agility Committee. As an obedience exhibitor/trainer, he has earned an OTCH on four dogs and has received an invitation to the AKC National Obedience Invitational for the past seven years. He judges obedience; has shown dogs in conformation, lure coursing and agility; and has appeared on the NBC Today Show and CBS Morning News with his obedience dog. Robert spent forty years in the Reputation Management/Corporate Relations field. His career included senior executive posts with Fortune 500 companies, the management of his own consulting business and the presidency of the Ketchum Global Corporate Relations practice.
- Dr. Carmen L. Battaglia, of Roswell, Georgia, owns and breeds German Shepherd Dogs and is Delegate and Past President of the German Shepherd Dog Club of America. Carmen has chaired the Committee for the Future and Business/Planning Committee and as a former AKC Director, served as Board liaison for the Health, Parent Club, HEC and By-Laws Delegates committees. He has published articles on breeding and legislation as well as several award-winning books. He also serves as an AKC expert witness in dog legislation cases and has written county dog legislation which resulted in the model that is used in several states. Carmen possesses a Doctorate from Florida State University and has been Assistant Dean at Emory University and Regional Administrator at the US Department of Education. He is also the President of Atlanta Student Aid (financial aid consulting Firm) as well as the past president/owner of three post secondary schools which were located in two states.
- Steven D. Gladstone, of Mount Pocono, Pennsylvania, has bred Cardigan Welsh Corgis that, since 1974, have earned more than 100 AKC titles in breed, obedience, herding, tracking and agility. A former AKC Director, he is currently the Delegate for the Greater Naples Dog Club. Steve also serves as president of the Cardigan Welsh Corgi Club of America and has previously served as Chairman of both the Board Business Committee and the Board Audit Committee. Steve strives to use his legal training, entrepreneurial experience and business savvy to advocate for a common sense approach to administering the sport and to bring to AKC fair, equitable and impartial governance.
Comment & Discuss
Enthusiastically agree? Respectfully beg to differ? Have your say here.