- Government Relations
- Organizing a State Federation of Dog Clubs
Organizing a State Federation of Dog Clubs
Today, dog owners and breeders are being challenged as never before by the introduction of legislation that could change our way of life. The AKC Government Relations (GR) Department is committed to fighting unreasonable canine legislation wherever it occurs, but our assistance cannot take the place of your involvement in dog issues at the local and state level. The GR Department works with its state federations of dog clubs and provides back up to fight bad dog laws and support positive measures that teach the public about responsible dog ownership and care. As constituents, state federations and their members have a powerful voice in addressing legislation that will directly impact them. Federations are the ground soldiers in the state-level battles on topics such as unfair breeder regulations, limit laws, breed-specific legislation and mandatory spay-neuter laws. When united, the voice of responsible dog owners can be a powerful political tool.
If your state doesn't have an AKC federation, please consider organizing one. It's easy to do. Here are some resources to learn more.
- Guidelines for Becoming a State Federation of Dog Clubs
- AKC Federation Statement of Principles
- Federation of AKC Dog Clubs and Other Allied Groups
- Suggestions for Organizing a State Federation of Dog Clubs
- American Kennel Club Position Statements
- Ordering brochures
Sample Constitutions and By-laws
- Mississippi Canine Coalition
- Colorado Federation of Dog Clubs, Inc.
- Illinois Federation of Dog Clubs and Owners