As winter looms, and we dig out our hats, gloves, and winter boots, it's important to remember that our canine companions also need protection from harsh weather. Short-haired dogs and breeds that are susceptible to the cold may need a jacket or sweater outdoors. And no matter how hardy your dog is, his paws should be protected from snow, ice, salt, and deicers. Icy particles and snow can collect between his toes, and most road salts and deicers are toxic to dogs. Consider keeping his feet warm—and safe—with winter dog boots. Here are some tips to help you choose the right boots for your dog this winter:
• The material of the sole should be textured, with a good grip for traction.
• Choose boots made from waterproof or water-resistant material.
• The sole should be flexible so your dog can walk naturally.
• Choose a boot with adjustable Velcro straps.
• Most dogs won't like the feel of shoes or boots. Prepare him by trying them on him in the house for short periods of time and praising him as he gets used to wearing them.
• Always check the manufacturer's guidelines for size, and measure before you order.
These 10 products include boots in different styles and with different features to help you choose the right winter boots for your dog.
These sturdy dog shoes are skid resistant and flexible, with a protective toe cap and reflective Velcro straps.
This waterproof boot, with an anti-slip sole, comes in several colors and eight sizes.
Over-the-knee boot socks are a fashion trend for people, and now your dog can wear them too. The rubber sole protects their paws and the sock top can be worn up or folded over.
Perfect for those who prefer rubber boots, these colorful boots have flexible anti-slip soles.
These are versatile all-season paw protectors, with breathable mesh uppers and non-slip, flexible soles.
If you and your dog like the rugged outdoors even in winter, these are the boots for him. The upper is made of water-resistant neoprene and the sole is injection-molded rubber for added strength and traction.
With an upper made of the same material as wet suits and a reinforced toe, your dog's feet will be warm and dry.
Like Muk Luks for your dog! These boots have fleece lining, leather soles, and a fold-over sock top for extra warmth.
These colorful boots have faux-fur lining and rugged anti-slip sole. The wide opening makes it easy to get them on your dog.