News and Updates
August 14, 2017
AKC Rally Videos on You Tube
The AKC Rally Videos, effective November 1, 2017, are available on the AKC Obedience & Rally You Tube Channel here
DISCLAIMER: The AKC Rally videos on this You Tube channel demonstrate correctly performed rally signs as of November 1, 2017. Although the principal parts of the rally signs are properly demonstrated, please note that these videos are for purposes of illustration only and should not be considered the only correct way to execute the signs. The principal parts are not bold or underlined on this media.
June 30, 2017
New AKC Rally® Classes ~ Judge Panels, Judging Assignments and Judging Eligibility
The new Rally Intermediate and Rally Master classes are effective for all AKC Rally trials held on or after November 1, 2017.
- Clubs may begin to apply for events with the new classes now
- Clubs holding a trial with the Advanced level classes must also offer the Intermediate and Novice level classes
- Clubs holding a trial with the Excellent level classes must also offer Master, Advanced, Intermediate and Novice level classes
If a club has already applied for a Rally trial to be held on or after November 1, 2017, the new Rally classes will automatically be added to a club’s event and the judging panel will pend for judges to be assigned to the new classes.
- Judges have already been granted judging eligibility for these new classes at their current approval status (Provisional or Approved)
Club and Judge Contracts
- Clubs must contact judges in writing to confirm their acceptance for judging assignments with the new classes
- Clubs should amend their judging contract to include the new classes
- Judges should receive a revised contract to document their assignments
May 12, 2017
- The obedience and rally regulations were amended to include language for a closing time for entries and that the closing time shall be no later than 11:59 pm on the third Wednesday prior to the trial for trials held on Friday through Monday. Previously the regulations governing these sports did not address a closing time for entries, but instead defaulted to the Rules Applying to Dog Shows. Clubs have the ability now to extend the closing hour for their entries at their option following the requirements listed below. Effective May 1, 2017, clubs may apply for events with a later closing hour at their option.
- Obedience Regulations - Chapter 1, Section 3. Premium Lists, Entries, Closing of Entries. (Insert as paragraph 5)
- Rally Regulations – Chapter 1. Section 3. Premium Lists, Closing of Entries and Catalogs. (Insert as paragraph 2)
- Every premium list shall specify the date and time at which entries for a trial shall close. The premium list shall also specify the name and address of the Superintendent or Trial Secretary who is to receive the entries.
- For all trials the specified closing date and time must be no later than as outlined in the following schedule:
- For a trial which opens on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday, entries accepted not later than 11:59PM on the third Wednesday prior to the trial.
- For a trial which opens on Tuesday, entries accepted not later than 11:59PM on the third Thursday prior to the trial.
- For a trial which opens on Wednesday, entries accepted not later than 11:59PM the third Friday prior to the trial.
- For a trial which opens on Thursday, entries accepted not later than 11:59PM on the third Wednesday prior to the trial.
- Clubs in a cluster of no more than five consecutive days have the option of closing no later than 11:59PM on the third Wednesday prior to the last trial in the cluster.
- Whenever the closing day noted above falls on a postal holiday, entries received in any form up to 24 hours from the published closing date and time may be accepted.
- All other paragraphs in these sections remain unchanged.
April 11, 2017
- 2018 AKC National Obedience Championship – March 24-25, 2018 AKC Rally National Championship Announcement – March 23, 2018 The American Kennel Club is happy to announce that on March 23-25, 2018 the AKC Rally National Championship & the AKC National Obedience Championship will be returning to the: Purina Event Center 300 Checkerboard Drive Gray Summit, MO 63039
March 14, 2017 - AKC Rally Program Enhancements
The Companion Events Department is pleased to announce new enhancements to the AKC Rally® program. The AKC Rally program has not had any changes to the class structure since its launch in 2005. We thank you, the clubs, for your continued support in hosting AKC Rally trials.
Over the years we have heard from many rally handlers who have won the Rally Novice title, saying they are not ready to move up to the Advanced level class, which requires the dog to work off-leash. AKC has created a new class and title for dogs that have won the Rally Novice title, but have not yet earned a qualifying score in the Advanced class. The Rally Intermediate class and associated title (RI), will provide a stepping-stone class to help prepare teams for the off-leash performance required in the Advanced class. The Intermediate course is a mirror image of the Advanced course without a jump. It is the Novice exhibitor’s choice to take advantage of this additional opportunity and the RI title is not required to enter the Advanced class. We have also listened to the Rally Fancy who have long asked for a champion level title. We are excited to announce the new Master class and associated title (RM), as well as the Rally Champion title (RACH), both of which will provide additional challenges for dedicated rally exhibitors.
The criteria to earn the RACH title (sounds like “ROCK”) requires the team to earn 20 triple qualifying scores; qualifying in the Advanced B, Excellent B and Master classes at the same trial, at 20 separate events, plus earn 300 RACH points from the Excellent B and Master classes. Points are determined by a dog’s score. At least 200 RACH points must be earned from the Rally Master class.
Please review the full details of these program enhancements at the links below and share this information with your club members responsible for managing your rally events.
Clubs may start to apply for events with these new classes on August 1, 2017 for events held on or after November 1, 2017
Should you have any questions, please write to us at Rally@akc.org
Director of Obedience, Rally & Tracking