Agility News and Updates
Addition of 24C jump height division and removal of 26-inch: At the July 2017 AKC Board meeting, the Board approved the dissolution of the 26 Inch height and the addition of the 24” Choice height to replace it. This change will be effective for all trials on and after January 2, 2018. This is a mandatory height division that must be offered in all levels of the Regular Titling classes.
This new 24 Inch Choice jump height is for dogs entered in the Regular division that measure 22 inches and under ONLY, whose handlers choose to enter 24 Inches. Dogs that measure 22 Inches and over that are required to jump 24 inches will stay in the current 24 Inch height.
As is currently done with the 26 Inch class, the course times for the 24 Inch Choice will be the same as the 20 Inch height in all classes.
Chapter 2. Classes, Titles and Height Divisions
Section 4. Height Divisions, Measurement, Measuring Devices.
Dogs may only be entered in one jump height division per day for all classes. The following jump height divisions shall be used in all trial Regular classes:
8 Inches: For dogs 11 inches and under at the withers.
12 Inches: For dogs 14 inches and under at the withers.
16 Inches: For dogs 18 inches and under at the withers.
20 Inches: For dogs 22 inches and under at the withers.
24 Inches: For dogs over 22 inches at the withers.
Dogs may not be entered in this class if they are 22 inches and under.
24 Inch Choice: Dogs may be entered at this height at their owner’s discretion if their measurement is 22 inches and under at the withers.
Reminder: A club holding a licensed or member trial shall offer a ribbon or rosette for the 24 Inch Choice height as defined in the AKC Regulations for Agility Trials:
Chapter 1, Section 24. Ribbons and Rosettes. A club holding a licensed or member trial shall offer a ribbon or rosette to each dog that receives a qualifying score, and to dogs placing first through fourth in each height division of each class…
The jump height is to be noted as 24 Inch Choice or 24” Choice for awards purposes.
Can I move my 24” dog to the new 24 Inch Choice height? No, if your dog measures over 22 inches they are not able to be entered in the 24 Inch Choice height.
Can I still move my dog up in height if not jumping 24C? Yes, for example you can move your 8” height dog to the 12” height as is currently allowed. There is no change to that policy.
How will this affect the 2018 AKC National Agility Championship? We will announce any changes regarding jump heights at the 2018 National Agility Championship by September 1, 2017.
Can we remove the 26" jump cups from our jumps? Yes, you can for trials on or after January 2, 2018, if it is possible.
- Regulation Updates: ISC Changes – Effective April 1, 2017 Premier JWW Time Changes – Effective May 1, 2017 Equipment Updates – Must be completed by January 2, 2018 Table Changes – Effective January 2, 2018
- 2018 AKC National Agility Championship Announcement March 23-25, 2018 the AKC National Agility Championship will be returning to Reno, NV. At the close of entries we will decide if we need to add Thursday March 22 to the Championship. Reno-Spark Livestock Events Center 1350 N. Wells Avenue Reno, NV 89512 https://www.visitrenotahoe.com/meetings-conventions/facilities/reno-livestock-events-center
- AKC Suspends Use of Collapsed Tunnel - Effective 8/30/2016
Stickers (Armbands) No Longer Required – Effective 8/1/2016
Chapter 1. Section 19. Paragraph 4 – Regulations for Agility Trials
Exhibitors may be provided stickers (or armbands) indicating their dog’s catalog number for that trial. These may be mailed with the judging schedule or available for pick up at the trial. The exhibitor must wear the sticker (or armband) if provided by the club.
- Announcing Agility Grand Championship (AGCH) - Effective 7/1/2016
- 2019 National Agility Championship: Mark your calendars March 15-17, 2019 the AKC National Agility Championships will be held at Expo Square in Tulsa, OK.