Foundation Stock Service®


Frequently Asked Questions

If I purchase/acquire a dog that is from an FSS®-recorded litter, is the dog automatically considered FSS®-recorded?
In order to have the dog recorded, you need to forward your FSS® application to the AKC for review with the appropriate fees. You should receive the FSS7reg; application form from the person from whom you bought/acquired the dog.

If I purchase/acquire a dog that is not from a litter produced by an FSS®-recorded sire and dam but the dog is from an acceptable registry, can I apply for FSS® recording?
Yes, you can apply to the FSS® by forwarding your application and fee to the AKC for review. Every application will be evaluated on its own merit. Applications for the FSS® can be downloaded from our website, or obtained from the AKC by calling (919) 233-9767 or by writing to AKC, 8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100, Raleigh, NC 27617-3390.

If I purchase/acquire a dog that was recorded by the previous owner in the Foundation Stock Service®, can I transfer the Foundation Stock Service® Certificate to my name?
The Foundation Stock Service® Certificate can be transferred to your name by properly completing the reverse side of the certificate and forwarding it to the AKC with the appropriate fee for review.

What are the acceptable foreign registries?
Acceptable foreign registries are listed in the AKC's Special Registries Services pamphlet.

Do I need import papers to record my foreign-born rare breed?
If your foreign-born rare breed is registered with an acceptable foreign registry, the registry papers, your three-generation pedigree and the completed FSS® application with two photos of the dog should be forwarded to the AKC with the appropriate fee for review.

Dogs with two-generation pedigrees, one-generation pedigrees or names of sire and dam only, are eligible for enrollment in FSS® as the foundation stock of future generations.

How will I know if my dog has been recorded in the Foundation Stock Service®?
FSS® certificates will be issued for dogs recorded with the Foundation Stock Service®.

Do I have to be a member of a club to have my dog recorded in the Foundation Stock Service®?
No. This optional record-keeping service is open to individuals as well as members of organizations.

If you have additional questions regarding the Foundation Stock Service® program, direct them to: (e-mail) Mari-Beth O'Neill
AVP Special Services
8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100
Raleigh, NC 27617-3390