Man in Wheelchair Rescued From Fire by His Dog

A natural gas explosion caused a fast-moving fire to engulf a Haltom City, Texas, home in minutes. But David Johnson is safe, thanks to his dog, Lucy.

Johnson, who uses a wheelchair, was sleeping when the blaze broke out Thursday night (November 12), but Lucy woke him up just in time by jumping on his chest. “She saved my life,” he told CBS.

His wife was not home, so he managed to escape by crawling out of the home to his front yard, where a neighbor assisted him. “I mean the whole house was just fully involved by then,” Johnson said to Fox 4.

The house was a total loss. Lucy, who the Johnsons found at a shelter about a year ago, is staying with the neighbor until the Johnsons find a place to live.