- Portland, Oregon has 5.4 dog parks per100,000 residents, making it Number One nationally.
- Norfolk, Virginia is second, followed by Madison, Wisconsin, and Henderson and Las Vegas, Nevada.
- The number of off-leash dog parks grew by 6% last year, and is up 20% in the past five years.
"In our research, and working closely with the communities we serve providing recreation spaces, we've seen tremendous growth in both dog parks and outdoor adult fitness spaces, which help provide amenities for a wider family dynamic in parks," said Anne-Marie Spencer, Corporate Vice President of Marketing for PlayCore, a partner in the research project.
The report also ranks other types of parks, again on a per capita basis. It shows:
- St. Paul, Minnesota has the most baseball diamonds.
- Chula Vista, Calif., is no. 1 in skateboard parks and Sacramento, Calif., is no. 2.
- Two Ohio cities, Cleveland and Cincinnati, have the most municipal swimming pools, but Madison, Wisconsin and Minneapolis have the most beaches.
- Washington, D.C., led every other city in the community gardens.