The name gives you a clue -- he's a huge dog meant to protect the herd in the rugged terrain of the Pyrenees Mountains. But maybe the name should also include how beautiful he is, as in "Great (Big-Absolutely-Gorgeous) Pyrenees." Nicknamed the Pyr, he is famously loving and protective of his family. Here are nine things that lovers of the breed could tell you.
- He's a natural working dog, as happy in the field as in the house.
Wonderland. #goatsofinstagram #greatpyrenees #greatpyreneesofthehour #gentlegiantoftheday #workingdogs #greatpyreneesofinstagramPosted by The Fancy FarmGirls on Monday, November 2, 2015
- The Great Pyrenees loves his family and needs love and attention back.
- These adorable bundles of fluff…
- ...grow up. And boy, do they grow!
- From puppyhood, Great Pyrenees' are loving and affectionate with family members.
- They especially love children, even when they're twice the size of their human siblings.
- It's best to start training when they're young, because Pyrs may grow to 32 or taller and 100 pounds. This guy is only 10 months old (with his 6-foot, 1-inch friend).
- At home, your lap is his favorite place.
- And, to paraphrase from "Jaws," we think you're gonna need a bigger sofa.