Every home has items that when swallowed by your dog can be dangerous and sometimes fatal. To help protect your pet, the AKC highlights the most common household hazards for animals. Among them:
Food. Always keep garbage out of your pet's reach. The rotting food contains mold and bacteria that could end up giving your four-legged friend food poisoning. In addition, many human foods can be extremely harmful to dogs. Following are just some of the things that should never be on your pet's menu: chocolate, avocado, onion, grapes, raisins, alcohol.
Cleaning products. You can use many cleaning products in your home safely around your pets, but you have to make sure to read the labels and use them properly. Cleaners containing bleach can cause stomach upset, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, or severe burns if swallowed, so keep your pets away from any areas you've cleaned until they're dry.
Medications. Human medications can make dogs very sick. Always keep medicine bottles tightly closed and stored in a secure cabinet away from your pet. Some examples of medications that are harmful to pets include: Aspirin, Ibuprofen, prescription drugs, diet pills.