The state dog of Maryland, the Chesapeake Bay Retriever was developed as a tough water dog and a hunting partner. With his distinctive coat -- a wavy outer coat and an woolly, oily undercoat, he revels in working the rugged, sometimes icy conditions of the Chesapeake Bay. But you don't have to be a hunter to be a great match for a Chessie. The breed excels at lots of activities, whether its a vigorous game of Frisbee, agility and other dog sports, even as therapy dogs. He's an all-around winner, as these nine images show.
1. With his superb retrieving skills and soft mouth, this Chesapeake Bay Retriever is doing what he does best.
2. They're built for rugged water conditions, even waves.
3. And icy water.
4. Naturally, they excel at dog sports, especially dock diving.
5. Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are also popular in the show ring.
6. You don't have to be a hunter to enjoy time with your Chessie. He's always up for a vigorous game of Frisbee.
7. Or a game of catch in any weather.
8. He'll even help you shovel snow.
9. If all this isn't enough, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are loving and loyal family friends. Who could ask for more?