As loyal to their owners as they are to their tasks, Boykin Spaniels make the perfect hunting partner -- few can swim the seas and fight the fowl like these guys. With their friendly nature and willingness to work, there's no better field companion.
1. Boykin Spaniels were originally bred by hunters in South Carolina as the ideal dog to hunt wild turkeys.
2. This breed is now beautifully adaptable; he can work in dove fields, duck marshes, and home fires.
3. Boykin Spaniels are well-known for their solid-brown coat and spaniel's flop ears.
4. Backwoods legends have it that the Boykin's brown coat was bred-in to provide the dog camouflage as he lay on the floor listening to his master call a turkey in.
5. Bred to work the lakes and swamps in South Carolina, Boykins have webbed-toes.
6. These dogs have super-energized personalities and an enthusiastic field ability that no other dog can match.
7. They are fiercely attached to their owners...
8. And are not only hunting companions, but family companions, and performance competitors.
9. Many Boykins participate in Spaniel Hunt tests, Spaniel Field Trials, as well as other AKC events.
10. The breed was fully recognized by the AKC in 2009,
11. but became the Offical State Dog for South Carolina 24 years earlier.
12. Boykin Spaniels are friendly, eager, and lovable. And also ADORABLE! Look at that face!