Boating with Your Dog
Your dog loves the great outdoors. So, he’ll certainly want to join you as you cast off for a boat ride. It’s your responsibility to make sure it’s a safe ride.
Here are a few safety tips to follow when taking your dog along for a sail or cruise:
- Invest in a canine life jacket, which can be purchased at most boating shops or online. Make sure it’s a good fit. Most dogs are good swimmers, but he might need a flotation vest in rough seas or in the event of an emergency. Doggie life jackets typically come with a handle, making it easier to help your dog get back into the boat.
- Bring along plenty of fresh water for your dog. Discourage him from drinking lake or sea water, which might contain pollutants or organisms that cause health problems.
- If you plan to spend a significant amount of time on the water on a sunny day, bring an umbrella or something that can provide a shady spot for your dog.
- Take along waste bags, pads or whatever you might need should you dog happen to relieve himself on board.
- If it’s your dog’s first time on the boat, make it a brief outing. Watch him for any signs of sea sickness.